What Food Will For Sure Not Cause Dihharea? ?

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have 2 kittens in the house. One is about 12 weeks and another is 15 weeks. Have had both of them for a little over a month. One eats dry and wet food. Another prefers only wet food. Both have had dihharea off and on (mostly on) all the time. I have changed their food 3 times because of that. They did ok on each one for a couple of days and then went back to the dihharea thing. I have a toddler who is also potty training and cleaning everyone's pool and pee is starting to take a toll on me. What foods can I give to these kittens that should definitely NOT cause dihharea? Should I only give them dry food?
P.s. we also have an adult cat in the home who doesn't have this problem but he only eats dry food and doesn't like wet food.
Pps. Kittens are otherwise healthy, playing and acting crazy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! you could take a look at kittenlady, here's the website Saving Kittens
Royal canin babycat, and wellness kitten food are two foods mentioned there. Reviews of RC babycat foods are very positive.
Canned food is preferable...
However, have you had a vet look at these kittens?

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Each cat/kitten has a unique system, as such there is no one food that will work well for every single cat out there. Additionally, changing the food can also be the cause of tummy upset resulting in diarrhea or vomiting all on its own. Even with foods that your cat/kitten would do well on in the long term. When you switch foods it should be a gradual switch and it can take up to two-three weeks for their systems to normalize.

Given that they are kittens you need a kitten labeled food to give them full nutrition. Since your adult isn't into wet food, I would focus on giving them wet kitten food and feed your adult an all ages dry food so the kittens can eat it as well.

What foods are you currently feeding.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Changing foods only helps if you spend a whole week gradually phasing it in, so it is impossible to suggest a wet food that never causes diarrhea. Dry food does not cause diarrhea so much for the same reason it should not be the main source of a cat's calories: lack of water. So no, the kittens should not be switched to all dry if they will eat wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Each cat/kitten has a unique system, as such there is no one food that will work well for every single cat out there. Additionally, changing the food can also be the cause of tummy upset resulting in diarrhea or vomiting all on its own. Even with foods that your cat/kitten would do well on in the long term. When you switch foods it should be a gradual switch and it can take up to two-three weeks for their systems to normalize.

Given that they are kittens you need a kitten labeled food to give them full nutrition. Since your adult isn't into wet food, I would focus on giving them wet kitten food and feed your adult an all ages dry food so the kittens can eat it as well.

What foods are you currently feeding.
They are eating kitten wet food. First I was giving them the food they gave me at a shelter (specializeded) and even though they were supposedly used to it and all they were having dihharea and I couldn't wait to finish that food. Then I gave them kitten store brand food that I got at ALDI (they have their own). They did well 2 days and then it was back to dihharea. Then they are on purina for kittens and same thing after a few days of no dihharea.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That all sounds like normal digestive issues from rapid food changes. It takes a few days for the problems to manifest once they start on a new food. The best thing is to stick with one food so their bodies can get used to it. If you are going to switch itshouldbe a minimum of two week process to change from one to the other. Itend to do transitions of over a month by very slowly increasing the amount of new to old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That all sounds like normal digestive issues from rapid food changes. It takes a few days for the problems to manifest once they start on a new food. The best thing is to stick with one food so their bodies can get used to it. If you are going to switch itshouldbe a minimum of two week process to change from one to the other. Itend to do transitions of over a month by very slowly increasing the amount of new to old.
Thank you! Will just have to endure more dihharea looks like :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
same thing after a few days of no dihharea
I'm confused about the few days without troubles. If it's a food issue wouldn't the runny poo show up right away?
This is just my opinion, but if it were me I'd try either getting them in to a vet, or the Royal Canin babycat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm confused about the few days without troubles. If it's a food issue wouldn't the runny poo show up right away?
This is just my opinion, but if it were me I'd try either getting them in to a vet, or the Royal Canin babycat.
I've always had food problems start a few days after a switch. :dunno:

A vet check is a good idea to make sure it isn't worm related, of course.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I've always had food problems start a few days after a switch
Gracious sakes, here a person thinks they've got a good food and things are ok(speaking from a person who has a VERY finicky feline) only to find out --not--. That's almost unfair.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gracious sakes, here a person thinks they've got a good food and things are ok(speaking from a person who has a VERY finicky feline) only to find out --not--. That's almost unfair.
Link once reacted to a food after being on it for nearly a month. I had gone out and stocked up on it because every one seemed to like it and do good. He informed me very well with a couple projectile spots in three days that he changed his mind and did not like it after all. Luckily, I was able to get refunds on the food and we went to a different one. His problems stopped about two days after changing. Sometimes problems with specific foods aren't immediately apparent because of quantity. It's like someone who can eat a specific food for years and then one day has a problem. There is a tipping point in immunity or tolarance for some people and critters, once you pass it you can't stand any again but up to that point it's fine.

But on subject, it sounds more like rapid diet changes. If the problems continue after staying on the same food for two weeks then I would try a different one with a slwo switch between. A vet though could rule out worms or bacterial with a stool sample.