What Else Could I Add To My Rotation?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I feed my cats 1/4 cup of dry Earthborn Holistic feline. For my wet food I have a some Tiki Cat- Succulent Chicken, and a variety pack of fish flavors. And I have Dave's Tuna in gravy and Tuna & Chicken in gravy.

One of my cats is a VERY picky eater. She loves fish, especially tuna, and really likes gravy. So basically everything she shouldn't have is what she likes.

The other cat will eat literally anything. I've caught her eating dog food, cottage cheese, pizza, soap bubbles, flowers, hot chocolate, diet coke, she just eats everything it's so annoying.

Tiki Cat is is little bit pricey for me and they are really small cans. Dave's is pretty reasonable though. So I was looking to add one more food, so I wouldn't have to buy so much Tiki Cat because it is expensive and you don't get that much. I would like to get away from the fish and maybe be able to feed them a patte, but I don't know if Kitty will eat that.

I was looking at maybe Merrick's Perfect bistro or Petite cuisine? Or is there anything else I could consider? I order all my food on chewy.com

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One little remark: cottage cheese is entirely OK. Dog food as main course not very good, but as one of 6 courses during a grand midday, is OK. :) Pizza - dont make it a habit, but Im sure he will survive. :)

Chokolate is of course not good, even if its not high end puriefied dark chokolate. Also soap bubbles, many flovers, coke arent not necessarily to recommend.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blue Wilderness big cans are 2.10 or something close to that and can be split between two cats they're so large, they have lots of flavors too and are very quality food. I expected them to be higher since their dry bags are so expensive but I was pleasantly surprised when I found them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ Ha ha, Well it's not as though I purposely feed her these things. She takes it when my back is turned. I always have to lock her up when we eat. And I didn't know cottage cheese was safe. She really gobbled up a lot of that. It was supposed to be my lunch and I caught her with her whole head in the bowl. :angrywoman:

bellel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy, Tater Tot, will suck down anything not nailed to the ground, so I completely understand. He used to chase me around the house when I ate mandarin oranges or fresh apples. A few months ago, he grabbed a fruit cup out of my bookbag and dragged it into the kitchen where he proceeded to bite holes into the plastic cup to get to the fruit. Luckily I caught him before any plastic came loose and he only managed to poke holes into it. Phew!

I'm currently looking into new canned food as well and hoping for some suggestions. Good luck on your search!

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about Lotus, Instinct, or Weruva? All of them are high-protein. The Weruva and the Lotus especially have some nice gravy selections. I've only seen the Instinct in pate, but they may have other options.

Fussie Cat has a lot of fish flavors, a decent amount of "juice" in the can, and I find them to be pretty affordable. One of the only (actually, maybe THE only) canned foods my sensitive cat doesn't vomit up.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Lotus, Instinct, or Weruva? All of them are high-protein. The Weruva and the Lotus especially have some nice gravy selections. I've only seen the Instinct in pate, but they may have other options.

Fussie Cat has a lot of fish flavors, a decent amount of "juice" in the can, and I find them to be pretty affordable. One of the only (actually, maybe THE only) canned foods my sensitive cat doesn't vomit up.
Those look good, but I was trying to stay under $2/can There are a lot on chewy in that price range like between $1-$1.75, but they are brands that I've never heard of.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok what about any of these?
Redbarn Naturals Beef Stew Grain Free
Whole Earth Farms Real Chicken and Turkey Morsels in Gravy
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Chicken Casserole Morsels in Gravy (this does have tuna in it)

I'm thinking if I get the gravy ones she will eat it even if its not fish. And these seem to be all around $1/can

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The fussie cat is under 2$ when I get it, but it might be pricier on chewy. Hmm. I remember this battle; it's why I ultimately didn't feed an all-wet diet, LOL.

Whole Foods is the "lower tier" brand of Merrick. I dislike Red Barn, but only because they make soooo many crappy products.

Merrick usually makes decent food. Big fan of their GF dog food. I like their wet food for cats (dislike the dry).

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm on chewy looking, and brands worth looking into (all seem to be well under 2$/can):

Almo Nature
I & Love & You
Under the Sun
Wellness
Solid Gold

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
The fussie cat is under 2$ when I get it, but it might be pricier on chewy. Hmm. I remember this battle; it's why I ultimately didn't feed an all-wet diet, LOL.

Whole Foods is the "lower tier" brand of Merrick. I dislike Red Barn, but only because they make soooo many crappy products.

Merrick usually makes decent food. Big fan of their GF dog food. I like their wet food for cats (dislike the dry).
I don't feed an all wet diet either. I do give them I little bit of dry. But I live in the middle of nowhere, so unless I want to travel way out of town into the city to PetSmart, it's just easier to buy the food online. And PetSmart usually has big brand names that are way over priced and not that good- in my opinion.

Oh and I just noticed RedBarn changed their Formula, it doesn't look at good now... aw darn.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Almo Nature looks good...and they have a gravy one. Too bad they are small cans, but that's still not that bad.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those look good, but I was trying to stay under $2/can There are a lot on chewy in that price range like between $1-$1.75, but they are brands that I've never heard of.
I'm the same. Looking for decent quality AND reasonable price ;)
A small difference I found which may influence long term budget is calories calculation. It's ranging from 960 to 1400 kcal/kg, meaning some you need to feed more, some less.
I've also seen 5oz can of one brand. 5oz is less than 5.5oz. This is also needs to be considered (OK, I'm cheap :p ).

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the same. Looking for decent quality AND reasonable price ;)
A small difference I found which may influence long term budget is calories calculation. It's ranging from 960 to 1400 kcal/kg, meaning some you need to feed more, some less.
I've also seen 5oz can of one brand. 5oz is less than 5.5oz. This is also needs to be considered (OK, I'm cheap :p ).
A

Ive Also seen 2.8 and 2.75 ounce cans instead of 3oz (like my tiki cat) which makes me mad :mad2:

But they do that with everything... remember bomb pops? They were red white and blue HUGE popsicles with a hollow plastic stick that would drip juice down your arm? Yea they are so small now its stupid. So are granola bars, you hardly get anything. That could be a whole other thread of its own...

But yea, i guess I'm a little cheap too:crazy: though I like to call it "thrifty". I like to buy the big 5.5 oz cans so I can split it between my two cats. So at $1/can thats like .50 c /cat compared to $1 for a 3 oz can then that ends up $2 per cat. And that adds up.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Nutro Natural choice? My picky cats love that brand, although they only come in 3 oz cans, but most of the flavors come out to under $1 each can when bought on Chewy. They especially love the minced chicken and the sliced turkey flavors (which are carageenan-free) and do have gravy. And there's Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen line which isn't as expensive as the other Weruva varieties, each 3 oz can comes out to a little over $1 when bought on chewy, and they have the bigger cans too, i think those come to like $1.50 a can.

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a fan of Wellness, thats the brand I mainly feed my cat. I think a case of 12 12.5 oz cans is about $35 on chewy, I usually order through Jet.

As well as fancy feast, merrick (he LOVES the duck pate), and natural balance lid. Next time I go to the little mom and pop shop by me I wanna pick up fromm canned food for him to try.

For dry, I'd recommend Acana dry food. Its a bit cheaper than Orijin and by the same people so its very comparable in quality, just has a lower protein percentage (its still like 40% protein I think?). My cat loves all the flavors and it works well for him as a snack.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a fan of Wellness, thats the brand I mainly feed my cat. I think a case of 12 12.5 oz cans is about $35 on chewy, I usually order through Jet.

As well as fancy feast, merrick (he LOVES the duck pate), and natural balance lid. Next time I go to the little mom and pop shop by me I wanna pick up fromm canned food for him to try.

For dry, I'd recommend Acana dry food. Its a bit cheaper than Orijin and by the same people so its very comparable in quality, just has a lower protein percentage (its still like 40% protein I think?). My cat loves all the flavors and it works well for him as a snack.
I'm happy with the dry. It's very high protein (over 40%) and low carb and I get a 14 lb bag for $30

Those big cans of Wellness would be cool if I could get Kitty to eat a pate. If I can find that in the store maybe I can just get one small can and see if she would eat it before ordering on chewy. I know Luna eats pate but Kitty is picky.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the Whole Earth Farms Turkey in Gravy its just about $1/ 5 oz can. I wish it had more protein and no potato or peas. How does this look? I just like the price. I also am caring for my mom's cat and she is helping me pay for her food, litter, and vet care, and they don't like paying a lot for cat food, so it's hard to find good quality at a good price.

And I may also look at that Wellness and see if she will eat it. Kitty really likes to eat crappy food. Anything healthy she usually licks and gives me a nasty glare and walks away. So we'll see.

Ingredients

• Turkey, Turkey Broth, Chicken Broth, Turkey Liver, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Potato Starch, Dried Peas, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodate, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Calcium Carbonate, Organic Dried Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed Oil, Guar Gum, Taurine, Caramel Color, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Xanthan Gum, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme.
Caloric Content
  • 1017 kcal per kg, 144 kcal per 5-oz can
Analysis
Crude Protein9.0% minCrude Fat4.0% minCrude Fiber3.0% maxMoisture81.0% max

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wellness has sliced, cubed, and minced varieties, but I think those only come in the 3 oz cans. I don't recall ever seeing them in a 5.5 oz and I know you can't get those in a 12. They probably do come in 5.5 oz though I just never looked for them

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness has sliced, cubed, and minced varieties, but I think those only come in the 3 oz cans. I don't recall ever seeing them in a 5.5 oz and I know you can't get those in a 12. They probably do come in 5.5 oz though I just never looked for them
Hm I'll have to look. All the prices are probably going to change and go up anyway now that chewy was aquired by petsmart....not looking forward to that merge