What else can go wrong?

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of you know that I have been in China for the last two weeks. When I got home I received some awful news.

First, I came home to a string of tornados. I had to go directly from my car to the basement because the storms were so bad. While riding out the storm, my husband told me that my amazing and wonderful grandmother died while I was gone.

Also, several days before I left for China my little sister had a double-mastectomy due to breast cancer. She is home now, but I found out last night that while in the hospital she developed several blood clots in her lungs, which of course can be fatal. She is taking "blood thinners" now to keep more clots from developing.

If that isn't bad enough, when I got home, I could see that Chester (our rescue cat with the broken leg) looked awful. Before I left, Chester was being treated for what we thought was a recurring bladder infection. My husband said that during the two weeks I was gone, Chester stopped eating and was lethargic, but my husband decided it was due to the antibiotics, so he didn't take Chester to the vet
I took Chester to the vet today. He had lost 1.5 pounds in two weeks!!!! He was severely dehydrated. He is in renal failure and the vet found a tumor in his right kidney. Additionally, his left kidney is very small (probably atrophied).
We will keep him at the vet until his system is flushed and his left kidney is functioning better and then will decide what to do. If the left kidney is strong (doubtful) they can remove the right kidney and he should be fine. If the left kidney doesn't get strong, I don't know what the options will be.

Sigh.......Chester has had such an awful life, I hate that this is happening to him. I also hate that it took us so long to find out that this is why he kept having urinary problems. Poor old boy.

Please send a little board magic Chester's way. He will need all the help he can get.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Renae! I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother.

Your little sister and Chester are in my thoughts! I hope they both get better soon!

and also some big ((((hugs)))) and lots of strength vibes to you.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh Renae! You sure don't deserve all of this ever, let alone at one time!!

I'll keep Chester and your sister and your whole family and especially you in my thoughts. Lots and lots of healthy energy coming to Chester and your sister.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about the loss of your grandmother, Renae, and your sister and Chester are in my thoughts!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have no words my friend- just cyber hugs for all-

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no Renae, it doesn't rain, it pours!

You all are in my thoughts at this tough time

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG , I am so sorry of the loss of your grandmother
And I am so sorry to hear what your sister is going through right now
And now poor Chester

Please know that I will be praying for you , your sister and your Chester

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We're thinking about you here and that somehow Chester and your sister makes yet another surprise to health.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh Renea - I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandmother!

Tons of prayers and good vibes heading your way

flea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of all of this...

Originally Posted by lotsocats

Also, several days before I left for China my little sister had a double-mastectomy due to breast cancer. She is home now, but I found out last night that while in the hospital she developed several blood clots in her lungs, which of course can be fatal. She is taking "blood thinners" now to keep more clots from developing.
If it helps you at all, I was in the EXACT same situation six years ago, when I was 22 years old.

I wish all of you nothing but the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for your support. Thankfully, Chester's BUN level has dropped by 50% overnight. It is still above normal, but we hope that we will continue to see improvement over the next day or two. I hope he will become strong and healthy enough to have the bad kidney removed. Poor old boy.

Flea...did you have this surgery when you were so young??? It is so scary. My sister is only 40 or 41 (I can't remember how old she is)

Regarding my grandmother: She was truly an amazing woman. She lived a pretty miserable and depressed life until she was around 40. After her husband died (I think when she was in her 40s) she had a life changing experience and at this "advanced" age, she turned her life around. Despite never having gone to college, she became the Justice of the Peace for her tiny village of Buda Texas and remained judge until she retired at age 90!!! When she was in her 80s she went parasailing in Mexico. She said parasailing was great except that the wind in her hearing aids hurt her ears! She went on many adventures and had a bevy of great and very dear friends. She was a real inspiration for me and I use her as an example of how even those who come from bad backgrounds and awful lives can take charge and make huge changes in their lives.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother, and for Chester's problems...I wish your sister all the best.

Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman, thank you for sharing some of who she was,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well....one more problem has come up. The son of my sister who is recovering from the double mastectomy just rescued a three week old kitten from a fire. They couldn't find the momma cat, so he brought the kitten home with him. The son is heading to college in a few weeks and my sister simply cannot care for a 3 week old kitten right now, but is falling in love with the little girl. I'm going to write more about this in the SOS forum, so if anyone knows of someone who can foster (or adopt) this kitten (Chapel Hill, NC area) please read more in SOS.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear about the improvent in Chester's health! Your grandmother sounds like an increble woman, and you're right, she is such an inspiration! It is wonderful of your sister to temporarily care for this kitten, hope you are able to locate a perfect forever home for her! Please tell your sister she remains in my prayers as she recover. It really is a small world..I was born in Chapel Hill because I was two months premature and at that time the hospital there offered the best care for premies!

Stephanie

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Renae, i hate to hear bad news, and i hope things get better, and who knows this furbaby could help on your sisters road to recovery

and headbutts from Rosie and Sophie

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Oh Renae, I am so sorry about your Grandmother, I am so glad, as you are that she lead such a full and active life. Tell your sister, to make sure she does her deep breathing and coughing exercises she learned in the hospital...excellent for her lungs and circulation. The blood thinners will work! Good luck with your boy Chester, my thoughts are with him as well! Franz and Maddie send him their cat prayers and head licks too!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Renae--my condolences in the loss of your grandmother. It's been almost a whole year since my grandmother passed (June 13). You're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope things get better quickly for you!