What does this noise mean?

RenM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, brief rundown. Sparrow is blind. I adopted him in late August. He was a stray before this living outside my neighbor’s house.

He has never been very vocal. He purrs when I pet him and he’s into it. About a month ago he started doing this thing where if he left my main floor when he came back he’d make the noise you hear in the video. I would talk to him and he’d go to his lounger and do his thing.

The past couple days he’s been making this noise a lot more. This morning he just kept walking around and making it while I played with him. Is this a thing I should be worried about or is it normal and he’s just coming more out of his shell?

Video:
View media item 423096

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, what a sweetie. :redheartpump:

I couldn't really hear the sound you referred to, but possibly it's the chattering mentioned in this TCS article: Cat Sounds - Feline Vocal Communication when looking at prey, which would be interesting, as he can't actually see the prey.

He's a beauty. Thanks so much for adopting a blind cat. :redheartpump:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would guess he is just calling out to you to find out where you are. It's a cute little squeak! And, it could very well be related to him coming out of his shell - as I am guessing he is venturing through your house now more than he did early on? When you say he is making the noise more now, is he also wandering about more now? If he is eating/drinking/using his litter box fine, I would not be too worried.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of variation of whining I would say, done to get your attention. Good that he perked up with the play. The reason he is doing it more is that he has learned it works! He calls, you let him know where you are and all feels okay in his world.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RenM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Thank you for all the thoughts! He has stopped making the noise while walking, but he still makes the noise when he leaves and comes back to the room I'm in. I definitely think those are a "are you still here/where are you noise?" since he stops when I tell him I'm still here. I guess my grumpy boy likes me lol.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
That is absolutely adorable! He’s calling you! How great is that, that he knows how to get your attention? That’s his way of finding you. Almost like “mom, mo-om, mom? Sooo cute!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Thank you for all the thoughts! He has stopped making the noise while walking, but he still makes the noise when he leaves and comes back to the room I'm in. I definitely think those are a "are you still here/where are you noise?" since he stops when I tell him I'm still here. I guess my grumpy boy likes me lol.
You're most probably right. That sound is probably your name in cat language.
Your boy loves you. :)