What does this mean my male cat is doing?

Jahpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are both 8 years old but my female cat is a few months older. Willow is the white calico one just minding her own business and my male ragdoll cat just started doing this maybe the last two years? I dont get why all of the sudden he started doing this. They are both spayed/fixed and he has never humped anything but idk if this is dominance or what but I notice his back legs move alittle when he bites the back of her neck. Back in the day Willow always took care of Bumble like her own kitten and they played alot and use to cuddle together. They never cuddle anymore or lay by each other.
https://sta.sh/026qdb0a7g0u
Thats the video on my art gallery account.
Oh and sorry I couldn’t get a better video my daughter is sleeping on my lap and her bouncer is in the way. 😅

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It is really difficult to tell from the video, but your description gives a clear picture of what's going on. :)
Sometimes this can be a kind of redirected aggression. I've found my cats will behave oddly towards each other if they feel they're not being fed on time, or there's another cat in the yard, or they feel their litterbox isn't cleaned enough, or a multitude of other feline dislikes. That might be worth considering.
Another reason cats will hump is if they have a UTI. Have you noticed any urinary issues? Litterbox avoidance, not peeing as much etc?
It's sad when they're really good mates and that ends, but hopefully there's an issue that can be addressed and they'll be friends again. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jahpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is really difficult to tell from the video, but your description gives a clear picture of what's going on. :)
Sometimes this can be a kind of redirected aggression. I've found my cats will behave oddly towards each other if they feel they're not being fed on time, or there's another cat in the yard, or they feel their litterbox isn't cleaned enough, or a multitude of other feline dislikes. That might be worth considering.
Another reason cats will hump is if they have a UTI. Have you noticed any urinary issues? Litterbox avoidance, not peeing as much etc?
It's sad when they're really good mates and that ends, but hopefully there's an issue that can be addressed and they'll be friends again. :)
My ragdoll male has had urine crystals before that were treated and had to be on wet cat food. Also im not sure which one it is but they tend to poop outside the literbox sometimes. So that can be frustration that hes taking out on the female?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Considering that this is fairly new behavior, and that UTIs can crop up quickly, another check might be in order.

And it is just possible that he's discovered that this activity feels good. It happens. Even in cats. Even in neutered cats. If Willow gets tired of it, she'll let him know. Meanwhile, the worst thing is that it is embarrassing to the humans involved.