What does the kitty want?

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom is catsitting her friend's cat for the second time. The owner dropped the cat off with the necessities both times. The kitty is a 4 year old shy Calico girl. Both times, she hides for a short time, but after she comes out, she is very talkative. Basically, she meow and meows all the time. We don't know what she wants, but she likes to get picked up, it seems like. When mom picks her up, kitty purrs loudly and relaxes, putting her head on my mom's shoulders, closing her eyes. She will not even try to get down and stays there for a long time. After mom puts her down, she is OK for a little while but then starts meowing again, pawing at mom's legs. What does she want? Does she just want to get picked up?

Mom has been trying to make her feel ok by holding her, talking to her, and playing with her. I have never seen a cat like that before. Both of my cats don't like to get picked up or held. We are both puzzled! She follows mom even to the bathroom, meowing at the door if she closes it. We have not asked her friend if she behaves like this at home. Maybe she feels insecure away from home? If so, how can we help her feel less insecure? Should we just try to hold her more?

^ kitty looking content in mom's arms

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
AAwww.. what a sweetie..

Ask the owner if she's like that at home.... some cats are.  If she isn't then she's feeling a bit insecure and wants (and needs) lots of cuddles.

Did she come to you with her own bedding?  Something that smells of home?

A lot of cats don't do very well in other people's houses.  Your girl visitor is obviously very people orientated.

If it were me, I'd just love her to pieces..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
I know! I am kind of jealous because my cats don't even like to be picked up or held. Girl doesn't even like to be petted all that much.

The owner brought the carrier and litter box, I believe. My mom loves cats, so she is doing her best to comfort her. I will tell her to ask her friend about kitty's behavior at home. And next time, maybe bring a piece of clothing or blanket with the smell of home. She really meows and meows! Such a weird kitty :p

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
If she doesn't always behave like that (and even if she does!), a Feliway diffuser or spray may help.

When you find out whether she always behaves like this, do let us know!

tonica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess she's just not feeling safe in a new place and wants some comfort. And yes, something that smells like her home could be very helpful, I have a similar experience with my cats... But this can be also her type of character, my Masha often comes to me and meows loudly until I pick her up, then she becomes something like a ragdoll cat, purrs and falls asleep soon 

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww you're so lucky your baby likes being picked up! I do wish mine were cuddlier. Cats are like box of chocolate...you never know what you gonna get (in terms of personality).

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
After about 5 days, kitty went back home. My mom, who loves cats and has wanted one for a while now says "maybe I should get a bird instead" lol! I guess kitty was so clingy and needy, followed her around everywhere, meowing for attention, and woke her up 3 times a night. She is now exhausted! I assured her that not all cats are that needy, and kitty was probably feeling very insecure and needed extra attention.

Mom asked the owner if kitty was always so "talkative" and needy. I guess she is! He said he often tells her to be quiet lol.

I thought it was so sweet that kitty was so clingy and needy, but it does get too much when it's 24/7. I'm sure she would have settled down a bit after a while. She's coming to visit me in the summer, so I will show her how my cats are not at all clingy lol!

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a siamese and he is VERY talkative, and LOVES to be held by anyone who will pick him up - family and friends alike, will find a high perch and jump onto your shoulder for a ride whenever he can.  He is an indoor outdoor cat, and has recently decided that we won't be allowed to leave in the car without him.  He can tell if we are getting ready to go to the car - usually he is inside while we are away, and has taken to bolting out the door as we are leaving - there is no way of stopping him.  He runs to the car and waits for you to open the door, and proceeds to jump in.  When we are going somewhere close we will let him come.  He rides with his head hanging out the passenger window (I think he's part dog).  Our new basement tenants have 2 kitties, and now we find him entertaining them through the window more often than not, or just waiting for them to come visit the window, when he is out and about.

We have gotten used to his chatter.  I usually chat back, and that seems to appease his need to communicate. 

I guess my suggestion for your mom is is that if she wants a more independent cat that she should steer clear of the Siamese breeds generally.  I wouldn't call it needy.  They are just very in touch with their 'pack animal' nature.

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahahahaha your kitty is like a dog! Can't believe he likes to ride in the car with you. He is quite fearless, it sounds like.

I will tell my mom to stay away from Siamese. She is a very light sleeper, so a single meow would probably be enough to get her wide awake.