what does my cat want?

kittyandkate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every night, my boyfriend and I generally watch tv in bed. My cat when we first got her used to sleep next to me but now she will jump on the bed walk directly over to me and look at me. She looks like she wants pats but when I do she just walks away and sits on the end of the bed. Over and over again. I'm not particularly worried as she is a happy cat, eats well, plays with me,has many cat beds, follows me around and loves a good pat throughout the day! She sleeps with us every night, I just want to know what on earth she's doing when she acts like this haha :p it's like she wants to make sure I am really there or something? Any insights? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandkate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should mention that she does this a lot between eating (we live in a share house so her food is in our room) she eats, jumps onto the bed, looks at me, and when I go to pat her, dodges it and walks away.. this happens every time she eats at night if we are in bed

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Honestly, we can't know what is going on in their heads.

I find that it's best to let them call the shots!  That's how my girl operates.  She loves to be patted but very much on her terms.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
They can go through 'phases', too.  She may go back to sleeping next to you.  One of my cats slept with me every night and then suddenly he started sleeping on the couch in the living room!  Then after a couple of months, he started coming back into my room to sleep.  Who knows what he was thinking....  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandkate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
betsygee betsygee so funny that you just mentioned that! Tonight she has decided to sleep in the living room. I am a bit sad but I'm glad she may come back to sleeping in our bed in time! She is a funny cat, when we are home alone she's generally close by but when my housemates come home at night I think she gets a bit spooked :( I can't do much about the noise they make as it's not out-of-the-ordinary noise, making food, talking etc. She is a relatively new addition to the house hold so i hope she becomes a bit more used to everything! Sometimes I think she is settling in and other times I think she seems unhappy.. sigh* :) thank you for your input though much appreciated

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
If she's sort of new to the house, you may be absolutely right, she's still getting settled in.  

I know what you mean, I missed my Ozzy when he decided he liked the couch better!  But he was still his affectionate and sweet self.  Cats definitely like to do their 'own thing'.