What does my cat look like?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Siamese is a breed but most people tend to label all pointed cats as Siamese. All siamese are pointed, but not all pointed as siamese.

He is a pointed cat for sure and I'd say the vets domestic short hair is right on. The pose is hard to really tell but I am not seeing the long and angular features you'd see on a Siamese. If you have a sitting or standing pose that would be better. This is my Link who has some of the Siamese body shape but is a mix. But you can see how long Link is. In comparison your cats limbs look shorter.

Pointed domestic short hair is what yours likely classifies as.

Probably got the pointed gene in the genetic lottery of most domestic cats of no particular pedigree. My other pointed bicolor who is from a long line of tabbies, just won the genetic lottery with no known relation to any Siamese. You can kinda tell that she is drastically different in body shape from my other cat. Everything about her is small, dainty and rounded. I don't have a picture right now of her near Link. But she only comes to his shoulders and with my two its fairly easy to see difference in body shape that leans towards Link being more likely related to a Siamese and her being no relation. Cat genetics are a wonderful quirky thing. I have two bicolor pointed that at first glance look similar but when you really look at them they are completely different. Hopefully these two facial closeup demonstrate how different their shapes are despite similar coloring (and the variety you can see within pointed cats).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ibbycatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your comments!! I think you are right about his limbs being shorter than your kitty. He is a very large cat though. The dog next to him in this picture is about 35 lbs and 18 inches tall. Does his size help figure it out? I'm new to this cat mom life! Learning so much everyday!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link is 13 pounds and can see over a a standard size chair seat, Rocket is 7 pounds and can go under the same chairs without ducking.

While size is a factor in breed I'd still say yours is a very lovely domestic short hair. The sitting picture I am not seeing the narrower face you'd see with a Siamese. However, the coloring is very clean (without the splotches mine have) and I think lilac pointed. I am guessing yours is indoor only which helps prevemt some of the splotching mine get from temperature fluctuations. But that could also mean that he is closer to one of the other pointed breeds. It could also be close to a Siamese but didn't inherit the body shape or just got the pointed gene over a solid body color. I am not the best at gene guessing but if I was pushed I'd say maybe a grandparent or great grandparent was pure just because the lilac color is usually closer to pure and the cleanness of the coloring. Since cat genetics can be such a quirky thing though it could equally be that your cats parents both had great great grandparents that were one of the pointed breeds.