What does my cat look like?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is adorable.   The vast majority of cats are not any breed or mixed breed.  It's very different from dogs since there has been a lot more selective breeding of dogs,  where most cats have just bred randomly on their own.     They are known as Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhair.     

He has a pattern called Brown Tabby and White.   Genetically it would really be more accurate to say Black Tabby,  but  a black cat with a gene that makes  a tabby pattern show distinctly,  has been traditionally known as "brown tabby" , since in many of them,  the lighter areas between the black markings, do have a sort of warm tone that makes a  brownish look.  Your kitten looks like he's more of a cool brown tabby.   

It can be hard to tell in a kitten how long the coat will be as an adult.   to me looks like he might turn out longhair.  If he has a big floofy looking tail , that is a longhair.   and he might have a sort of Maine Coon look.  but it is hard to tell from one photo of a very young kitten.   In any case ,   I'm not saying he IS one.   If he were a

6 weeks is really young to be away from his mom.  If there is any way he could spend a few more weeks with mom and littermates  it would be   good,  unless he was abandoned or orphaned or was not being looked after properly in the home he was in,  or was a feral kitten  ,  in those cases there is a reason to have him early but it is still less than ideal,  and can lead to some behavior problems.  so you might have to work extra hard on things like litterbox training or teaching him not to bite and scratch. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is absolutely adorable.    little Brown Tabby and White boy.  

The vast majority of cats are not any breed or mix of breeds.  It's very different from dogs, because there has been much much more selective breeding of dogs,  while cats have mostly just bred randomly on their own. 

In cats, the pedigree cats are only a tiny percent .  

It is not likely any purebred kitten would be abandoned under a house at 6 weeks old.   So he is a little  "moggy".   or the more official term is Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhair.  

It can be hard to tell in some young kittens how long their coat will be as an adult.  He looks like he might turn out to be a longhair. ( semi-longhair anyway) .  If he has a floofy tail that would support that idea. 

And in that case, I'd agree with Stefan he might be kind of similar to the Maine Coons,  which after all,  originally   came from random-bred farm cats in Maine and near there.  So it might be more accurate to say he might be like some of the distant ancestors of the pedigree Maine Coons of today.  

but whatever he is, he is a lucky little kitten that you found him and took him in!  

We hope you will be posting lots of pictures.