What Does My Cat Look Like? - Would like opinions! TONS OF CAT PICTURES...be ready xD

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn't kidding! TONS of photos. I wanted to give a lot of visual. Some have flash on and some have flash off so you can see the detailsss! You will be able to tell I researched a lot based on my picture choices. lololol I've done so much research that I should get a cat PhD.

I found myself with A LOT of time on my hands so I started "investigating" different "breeds" and colors/patterns of cats to figure out how similar our kitten is to them. There are TONS of strays here so this kitten with a "heart" on his butt could be any type of mixture. I also have been told cats don't really have "breeds". That's kind of confusing. Every time I think I get it, I don't. xD I get it but I don't get it. No breeds but there are colors and patterns. I guess it just sounds too easy and too difficult at the same time. Can a cat be Harlequin and Tabby at the same time? I know torbies exist so that means tortoiseshell and tabby. I read all cats have tabby markings but some colors (white) mask it. Is this true? After all this confusion...how do you name what kind of cat you have? Is there a special way to "say it". Red Harlequin something something with white. Do you even have to say "and white" if your cat is already "harlequin"? Isn't that obvious enough?! xD It's not super important but I feel like it's cool to be able to identify a cat you see. I've been able to do it 2 times with random cats. Everyone around me is like....
Back:

Skin/Fur:

Belly:

Tail:

(A dog followed me home and stuck around...he got really mad. xD

You can see his tail and and upper back are spiked. When I went to pet him, he was super fluffy!)

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
These are wonderful pictures of a very beautiful cat!  I am not going to begin to guess at the right nomenclature to describe his breeding because every time I do, I blow it, but I did want to say how really gorgeous he is.  Hopefully someone will come along soon who can actually answer your questions.  

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Proper terms I believe are:
Red Tabby and White, Domestic Short Hair. (Color, breed)

Lots of people would call him Orange Tabby and White....

And as for Harlequin, it's really more of a nickname for a color pattern the way "tuxedo" is for a black cat with white belly, and not an official term.
But, I believe that yes, he could be also called Orange Tabby Harlequin. And ...white would not be necessary since that's what Harlequin means here. I don't like it though because although that's the same as in dogs...in other animals (rabbits for example) the term Harlequin is used to describe a different pattern (red/black alternating colors) so it confuses me LOL

He is very handsome!