What does my cat look like? And any thoughts on her coat type?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielrev888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, she’s 3 months old.

danielrev888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m assuming she’s just a DLH, but would it be worth getting a DNA test?

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She reminds me of a Norwegian Forest more so then a Main-Coon. Her head's a bit more angular, and she has a more petite jaw then is accepted in the modern day MC standard.
A DNA test wouldn't do any harm, however I'm betting your first instincts are right and she's a DLH. All purebreds today were originally created from cats with mixed lineages so you'll find many moggies with traits similar to a specific breed. This is especially true with the Norwegian Forest, Main-Coon, or Siberian, all of whom are naturally occurring breeds.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
doing a dna test is fun. it will also let you know about any dna health markers you need to be aware of. agreed probably some flavor of forest cat there but imo its hard to tell when they are still babys. their noggins grow at irregular rates so it's hard to see proportions. shes adorable

danielrev888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any thoughts on her coat?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks like a DMH torbie (tortishell + tabby? with socks and a bib. Very cute!

danielrev888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What would be the difference between Medium Hair and Long Hair? Thank you for the response!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What would be the difference between Medium Hair and Long Hair? Thank you for the response!
Genetically, its the same gene. Many even says, there is nothing which is a medium-hair.

So these two words is sooner a way for a practical description. If a cat is very visibly longhair, he is longhair, but if its not verry longhair, she may be called for medium-hair.

To observe, some shorthairs may have quite a long fur here and there, esp on the belly and on the rump... but if the tail is the usual nonbushy shorthair tail, we know its shorthair.
So for example a couple of my residents, the shorthaired russian blue, were quite longhair for a shorthair. And yet they got good judge marks.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always defer to StefanZ StefanZ on the technical! I agree, M vs L is more in terms of look and sometimes a very fine line. Your kitty has extra fluff but so far isn't a giant poof of hair like some can get. Certainly a bit floofy for a short hair. So that's why I say medium. 🙂

danielrev888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome thank you both for the information