What does everyone feed their strays/ferals?

thewarriors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I’ve been feeding my colonies Friskies Shreds & Friskies Pate. I’ve been told and researched that they are not the best in terms of ingredients used.

In comparison, i feed my three house cats Nulo Pate but i care for too many colonies to feed them Nulo everyday.

I’m looking for suggestions on budget friendly wet food for my colonies that have better ingredients than the Friskies that i feed now.

Thanks for any input.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strays and ferals will eat garbage if they have to. Friskies is gourmet, compared to what a homeless cat might have to eat on the streets.

If you bring a cat in for rehabilitation or rehoming you can switch to different food but, if living outdoors, Friskies is just fine.

Besides, it's a damn-sight cheaper! ;)

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would feed the feral cats, the leftovers from my indoor cats, and sometimes I would even give them food scraps and they would eat it

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course ferals will eat anything - because they are hungry! It's not a good idea to feed them poor-quality food, but it's not necessary to feed them the most expensive food either. If your "Friskies" is our "Felix" (in Germany), it contains sugar - a no-go as far as cats are concerned. Are there no serious consumer reports on cat food where you live? Here Aldi's, Lidl's and Kaufland's own brands came at the top of the charts as far as ingredients and price are concerned. Perhaps there are some cheaper but better quality no-name products than Friskies where you live.

Our ferals require far more food than our own cats but fortunately I share the task of feeding the colony with friends so it's not so expensive. When a feral cat is sick and needs antibiotics, there is only one way to get it to take medication and that is by mixing the tablet with home-cooked chicken. Looking after ferals is not cheap. I also buy large sacks of best quality dry food as, in the long run, this works out more economical than buying smaller boxes of the cheaper stuff. We feed twice a day (wet, dry, water and cat-milk) and know that we are also feeding wildlife and some non-ferals who turn up for an extra meal and sometimes spend the night in one of the cat houses.

Perhaps you can find some friends to take turns at feeding these unwanted cats. The local cat shelter has taken over several feeding stations for ferals from people who left the area or were no longer able to take care of the cats. This was how I first got involved in the project once all the cats had been neutered and tameable kittens removed to new homes.

You are doing a good job. I hope you find a compromise between price and quality or some friends to share the task.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed friskies
This thread started 2017 to present

ramonabee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also do Friskies wet and Meow Mix dry food or whatever is on sale. Some of them have started turning their noses up at the Friskies, so I'll usually top it with Fancy Feast