What Do You Think Of Your Own Voice?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only heard myself when I put my voice on the answering machine when I lived alone. I guess my voice is okay, as long as I don't sing. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't like how I sound but I think it's one of those things where you sound different in your own head so you dislike it. Kind of like how you are so used to seeing your mirror image you don't like it if you see yourself in photos. I've been told I sound like my Mom on the phone and she was once offered a phone (inappropriate for children number) job by someone who heard her voicemail at her old job. :spew:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always hated my voice (which is ironic considering that I now have my own YouTube channel haha), I sound like a dalek or an alien on record lol. I have a speech impediment resulting in my accent sounding more nasal-y than usual which I was always self-conscious about when I was a child as I always got people asking me if I had a lisp.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate my voice. I think I sound sort of like a very young person, and slightly valley girl-ish, neither of which I am. And I gave up singing even in groups years ago.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I suddenly have a nasal Philly accent on tape, which I never knew that I had (but without saying "shreet" for "street", etc.) I used to read newspapers onto tape for the blind, and they told me I had a very nice voice, but I didn't think so!

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
My sister and I have very similar voices, but mine is higher pitched. Both of us tend to use random accents when we talk, I don't know why...

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think this is pretty normal for most people. Over the years I've played in a lot of bands and have sang leads vocals in a few. When I first started out I hated to hear myself on tape. Over time I got use to it. The pitch you hear in your head when your talking is lower than the pitch that actually comes out. Singing in cover bands I learned to sing in a lower pitch to actually make it sound more like the vocals I was covering. Having said that, If I hear myself talking on tape I think I sound like a hick!...lol...I guess it's to be expected since I'm from the South!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My voice is a lot deeper than I think it is, but lately, I hear myself and it doesn't sound as deep as it used to be (but that could just be in my head). My old roommate says my voice is very soothing though and yesterday my 5-week old niece seemed enraptured by my talking when I was holding her.

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
My voice is very deep and husky for a lady. When my friends do their animation projects, sometimes I'll offer to voice their male characters.
Someone suggested that maybe I should try to sing jazz or Korean trot music, haha.