What do you think of this outfit for my cat, Kibbie?

geercom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is made especially for cats who need to heal.

Suitical Recovery Suit for Cats, Black Camo, X-Small - Chewy.com

My Kibbie keeps biting and scratching himself where he has allergies. I know my sister said her husband made a shirt for their little dog to keep him from biting himself on the premise of out of sight out of mind.

If you don't think it would harm him in any way, I might like to try it. I want to do something so those spots can heal, even if I only have him wear it for a month, then take it off again until he opens those wounds again.

He's been to the vet for it. There is no long-term medicinal solution that would not hurt him in the long run.

Your thoughts and insights are most welcome. Thanks!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That same suit is used on "Kitten Academy" which is a mom cat and kitten foster home in Danbury, Ct. That exact suit is used by some of the mom cats who after they return from their spays, want to "bite at their sutures." They have also used that same suit for mom cats who, after their kittens are weened, sometimes a few want to continue to nurse on their mother, the suit prevents that from happening. They say at Kitten Academy they have had great success with that particular suit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

geercom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Kibbie is not a big cat. When I measured him from collar to tailbone he is about 14 inches. The two closest sizes are 11 to 14 ish and 15 to 17 ish inches. I'm thinking the latter?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd go with the latter, and I think the shirt is an excellent idea! He should adjust to it quickly. Now, one thing you can do to help alleviate the itching, is to buy a box of chamomile tea bags from the grocery store. Brew a cup of the tea, chill it in the fridge, and apply it to the hot spots with a soft cloth or cotton ball. It is wonderfully soothing...and don't be afraid to use it on your own skin "ouchies," either! I've used it on cats, dogs, horses, rats and people. DO use the commercial bags, though. They are all made from GERMAN chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The ENGLISH variety is pretty useless, and is actually toxic to cats. If he were to lick it, it won't hurt him one bit, as it is used internally as a calming agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Get the larger size.

This is essentially the same recovery suit I used for my dog's spay. I ordered it from China so it may have been sized smaller. The first one I ordered was either small or extra small and was too small for my 6 lb Chihuahua mix.

Allergies are serious business. If anyone gives you any grief about trying something with NO steroids, NO immune suppressants, and NO side effects whatsoever, you just send them over to me and I'll take care of them.

:hugs:

My Willow wears clothes. Not all the time, but when there is a good reason to dress her, it doesn't bother her one bit.

ETA: The suit described here: The onesie that saved my walkies: Alfie the terrier wears a lightweight breathable suit to keep his pollen allergy at bay is seventy two bucks, but there is a less expensive version on eBay. It's still a lot of money, but compared to monthly cytopoint shots and hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of vet bills for testing, it's a bargain. Kibbie will have an easier time with the recovery suit, but if he needs more coverage this is an option.

Willow gets regular clothing-free time for grooming. I'm not sure how that is going to work with Kibbie, but he will adapt.

Last edited:

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is made especially for cats who need to heal.

Suitical Recovery Suit for Cats, Black Camo, X-Small - Chewy.com

My Kibbie keeps biting and scratching himself where he has allergies. I know my sister said her husband made a shirt for their little dog to keep him from biting himself on the premise of out of sight out of mind.

If you don't think it would harm him in any way, I might like to try it. I want to do something so those spots can heal, even if I only have him wear it for a month, then take it off again until he opens those wounds again.

He's been to the vet for it. There is no long-term medicinal solution that would not hurt him in the long run.

Your thoughts and insights are most welcome. Thanks!
Hi, we used this same exact suit for our kitty after her spay. She seemed really fine with it. The material was soft and cotton like. It was well designed. She didn't get it dirty when she went potty. I don't have any recommendation about what size to get though. But if she ever needs one again (she's much bigger now) we would order the same suit.