What Do You Think Of This Kittens Fur?

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a short-medium haired cat who had 5 kittens.i call her medium because she definitely has longer hair than a normal short haired cat, especially on her belly, but not by much. The Dad of the kittens was definitely the same Dad, tuxedo, shorthaired, very round faced, no tail. But this kitten has sooooo much more fur than the rest, he has no tail, and the other kittens are either very short haired about fluffy.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute babies!

Genetically, cats are either shorthaired or longhaired. The gene for longhair is recessive, so it's quite possible for two shorthaired cats to produce a longhaired kitten.

At this age, you often can't tell for sure whether a kitten is going to be shorthaired or longhaired, since they still have their fuzzy "kitten coat." You might need to wait and see. They might all be shorthaired and the black and white kitten may just have a more plush coat texture than the others... or the black and white kitten may turn out to be a longhair.

Jezebel1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks almost exactly like my kitten. I think mine is going to have medium-long hair because she has tufts of fur between her toes and around her ears. I don’t know what mom and dad look like but most of her siblings were fluffier like her except one which was clearly a gray shorthair.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks almost exactly like my kitten. I think mine is going to have medium-long hair because she has tufts of fur between her toes and around her ears. I don’t know what mom and dad look like but most of her siblings were fluffier like her except one which was clearly a gray shorthair.
What a cutie! Does she have some stripes on herback?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is still a fluff. Also, his stripes are getting more defined! I thought they would go away, his sisters have