What do you think of this article re: pre-ground store bought meat?

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, well that article says absolutely nothing about the actual grinding machines, how often are they cleaned? That's where bacteria can harbor, it's a major concern and in my humble opinion a big no-no for using pre-grounds from the supermarket (which are intended for human consumption and to be cooked).

There are raw feeders who buy non-ground supermarket meats and grind at home, far less riskier than buying grounds from those stores.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I've read the same thing many times too. There will always be a difference of opinion about everything. Some people swear by a vegan diet for cats. I guess we all have to decide what works for out kitties ourselves. 

Mine eat ground beef. Not as a meal though. I share my home grilled hamburgers with them. 

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much agree with the article. I use some pre-ground meat. At the store where I buy most of my cat food meat I can buy beef and turkey in plastic 'sausage' like chubs. The ground meat is fed directly into the chub and then sealed air tight.  I can't see how the bacteria issue could be any worst than if I bought the meat in large pieces and ground it myself.

I probably would stay away from the more loosely packaged ground meats unless they were ground and packaged the same day I bought them.
As a side note...it IS OK to use say, chicken thighs or breasts from the store, instead of a place like haretoday, and grind them at home, right?
I think even the most fanatical raw feeders say that is OK.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vegan diet for obligate carnivores.... I have heard several stories of people who tried to do this, impose their veganism on an obligate carnivore (I work in an pet food store). The last story I heard, the woman fed a vegan diet, the cat went blind, she gave it up to a shelter BC she didn't want a blind cat, the shelter euthanized the cat. If someone feels so strongly about their veganism, have a rabbit as a pet instead of a pet that is a carnivore. Sad, selfish and pure ignorance.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vegan diet for obligate carnivores.... I have heard several stories of people who tried to do this, impose their veganism on an obligate carnivore (I work in an pet food store). The last story I heard, the woman fed a vegan diet, the cat went blind, she gave it up to a shelter BC she didn't want a blind cat, the shelter euthanized the cat. If someone feels so strongly about their veganism, have a rabbit as a pet instead of a pet that is a carnivore. Sad, selfish and pure ignorance.
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't try to make a cat eat a vegetarian or vegan diet any more than I would try to feed a rabbit a steak. I came across this website a while ago and was just SMH. I know plenty of vegetarians and vegans who would never try (or consider trying) to force their pet to live this way. I think it's rather arrogant to think that you could or should force an animal to eat anything other that what it biologically needs as their primary diet. My dog would knock you down for some raw broccoli or some apple but I give it to her as a treat. what's next? Vegan Lions?  

http://www.vegancats.com

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The article I linked was about using ground meat from the store, not vegan cat diets? I'd agree with you on that...trying to make a cat vegan is selfish.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't try to make a cat eat a vegetarian or vegan diet any more than I would try to feed a rabbit a steak. I came across this website a while ago and was just SMH. I know plenty of vegetarians and vegans who would never try (or consider trying) to force their pet to live this way. I think it's rather arrogant to think that you could or should force an animal to eat anything other that what it biologically needs as their primary diet. My dog would knock you down for some raw broccoli or some apple but I give it to her as a treat. what's next? Vegan Lions?  :rolleyes2

http://www.vegancats.com
Dogs are not obligate carnivores and are essentially an "omnivore" though they are still classed as carnivores. They CAN choose to live a vegetarian diet if meat is not available and survive. Not cats...but the article linked is about ground meat from the store, not vegan cats. ;)

The site you linked, vegan cats, I had come across some time ago and thought it was absolutely bonkers. The funny thing is, many (not all obviously, as there are many reasons people are vegans) vegan humans feel like the vegan diet is what is bio-appropriate for people, so you'd think feeding a bio-appropriate food to their cats would be top priority.

Last edited:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I know, sorry about that.
LOL that's ok. I just thought, "oh my...one mention of vegan cats and now everyone thinks that's what I'm trying to do! Uh oh" Didn't want to get ganged up on...I'd never feed my cat a vegan diet! (And...I do have a rabbit too LOL)

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL that's ok. I just thought, "oh my...one mention of vegan cats and now everyone thinks that's what I'm trying to do! Uh oh" Didn't want to get ganged up on...I'd never feed my cat a vegan diet! (And...I do have a rabbit too LOL)
Sure,no problem but sorry nonetheless because I don't want your thread to get "hijacked" by another topic. I tried to quote Kat's comment but I'm on a cell and typing is difficult.

Anyway, carry on with the supermarket pre-grounds article......:)

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used a pre ground supermarket meat. I only  used when I tried a TC Feline recipe for cooked food. Everyone has to use their best judgment but I would not feed pre-ground market meat uncooked.

Speaking of vegan diets for cats. I read that PETA is in favor of that. That's crazy.I would go back to kibble first.