What do you think of the foods that I buy for my cat? Any recommendations for high quality dry food?

kittyneko1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reveal - Grain Free | Wet Canned Cat Food, chicken breast and tuna flavors
Fussie Cat Market Fresh Dry Food, chicken and turkey

My kitty seems like he's getting tired of his dry food and will only eat it when he eats all of his wet food. I want to try and switch it up.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The fussie dry is very high in carbs so watch out
I dont know about reveal.find food that has no fillers like starches, peas,chickpeas,fish
There are many helpful food charts
Catfooddb.com is just one of many. Only name I remember cause it's short
List of food a-z

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyneko1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fussie dry is very high in carbs so watch out
I dont know about reveal.find food that has no fillers like starches, peas,chickpeas,fish
There are many helpful food charts
Catfooddb.com is just one of many. Only name I remember cause it's short
List of food a-z
thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normally I would say that wet food alone is wonderful and to encourage your cat to eat mostly wet. However...... Reveal isn't a complete food. In fine print they say "feed with a complete dry food for a balanced diet." It is just chicken breast and broth so it had no added taurine, no vitamins, nothing else. While they claim the taurine naturally occurring in the meat is enough they also say to feed it with a balanced dry food. Which is a contradictory statement; like a diet supplement saying to have a balance diet and exercise while taking their pill to lose weight. Even raw feeders add taurine and they are feeding whole food diets with bone and organ meats along with lean meat and fatty meats.

To put it simply....... Your cat mostly eating Reveal wet food is creating a serious malnutrition risk. In my personal opinion, that food is technically a topper and should compromise more that 20% of your cats diet.

I would look into a complete wet food and ditch both the dry and the Reveal. Although you could use a spoonful of Reveal on wet meals for a topper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyneko1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Normally I would say that wet food alone is wonderful and to encourage your cat to eat mostly wet. However...... Reveal isn't a complete food. In fine print they say "feed with a complete dry food for a balanced diet." It is just chicken breast and broth so it had no added taurine, no vitamins, nothing else. While they claim the taurine naturally occurring in the meat is enough they also say to feed it with a balanced dry food. Which is a contradictory statement; like a diet supplement saying to have a balance diet and exercise while taking their pill to lose weight. Even raw feeders add taurine and they are feeding whole food diets with bone and organ meats along with lean meat and fatty meats.

To put it simply....... Your cat mostly eating Reveal wet food is creating a serious malnutrition risk. In my personal opinion, that food is technically a topper and should compromise more that 20% of your cats diet.

I would look into a complete wet food and ditch both the dry and the Reveal. Although you could use a spoonful of Reveal on wet meals for a topper.
Thank you for your response! I wouldn't say that the Reveal makes up most of his diet. I would feed him about a 1/3 of a can and then 1/2 cup of the fussie cat. He also drinks plenty of water. I only started feeding it to him recently. I've been trying out different wet foods for him (gradually of course) and Reveal is the only thing he hasn't thrown up or gives him diarrhea. I need something that's just pure shredded meat only. Pates and wet foods with weird stuff (pumpkin, sweet potato, cheese, etc) in it gives him really bad diarrhea.
Also, I was originally going to feed him wet food only back when he was a kitten, but my vet had told me that hard food is good for his teeth.
Based on the website Maggie posted, I really like Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau Succulent Chicken and Dr. Elsey's clean protein chicken recipe. What do you think of these foods?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Most companies will send you samples. My cat Peaches has a very sensitive tummy. I keep trying different foods. She eats canidae chaparral canyon with pieces of duck chicken in gravy, on chewy and rawz,its own website. My other cats eat dr elseys mostly on chewy. Sometimes tiki after dark which is at petco. I haven't tried the puka.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tiki cat and dr elseys are good wet foods, most importantly though they are complete. There likely is some filler that is causing the upset stomach so start keeping the labels of the ones that do and cross reference until you find out what they have in common.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's is good food but it does contain agar-agar, a thickener that seems to make our cats barf. I think that's fairly unusual but...

P.S. I should add that the foods we were feeding with agar-agar also contained green-lipped mussels, which I am now also suspecting as a problem for one cat. The other cat is fine with the mussels (they're in one of the supplements we use so it's fed daily) but since even she (the nonbarfer) definitely had trouble with the agar-agar foods, I won't be bringing it back. It can be so hard to sort out what's causing digestive issues!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's is good food but it does contain agar-agar, a thickener that seems to make our cats barf. I think that's fairly unusual but...

P.S. I should add that the foods we were feeding with agar-agar also contained green-lipped mussels, which I am now also suspecting as a problem for one cat. The other cat is fine with the mussels (they're in one of the supplements we use so it's fed daily) but since even she (the nonbarfer) definitely had trouble with the agar-agar foods, I won't be bringing it back. It can be so hard to sort out what's causing digestive issues!
I think because of the agar agar Peaches cannot eat that

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think because of the agar agar Peaches cannot eat that
That's interesting -- I don't remember many others mentioning an agar-agar problem.
Also, I was originally going to feed him wet food only back when he was a kitten, but my vet had told me that hard food is good for his teeth.
Dry/hard food doesn't clean a cat's teeth! Here's a Cat Site article on the topic. Here's a really interesting vet-written article with more details plus references to scientific literature about the issue.

We feed only wet food and brush our cats' teeth pretty much daily. They don't mind it: the cats like the toothpaste, so they even think it's a treat!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking I've found the solution so fingers crossed ! 2 different brands have agar and she threw up. Rawz does not so she can eat much more

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting -- I don't remember many others mentioning an agar-agar problem.

Dry/hard food doesn't clean a cat's teeth! Here's a Cat Site article on the topic. Here's a really interesting vet-written article with more details plus references to scientific literature about the issue.

We feed only wet food and brush our cats' teeth pretty much daily. They don't mind it: the cats like the toothpaste, so they even think it's a treat!
I agree about dry food not helping teeth. Not much different than a human eating chips or pretzels