What Do You Think About Pork?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've searched the site and most here are totally fine with feeding pork but I wanted to get some more feedback.

Thirteen has a terrible chicken allergy. When she eats it she scratches constantly and her ears fill with wax.

Atticus loves rabbit, as does Thirteen, but recently her interest in it began to wane, so a month or so ago I picked up a few pork tenderloins and used them as the protein for their food. It was an INSTANT hit.

I'm using tenderloins and I even trim the fat on them so I don't see any real issues feeding it long term.

Of course, the pork is boneless so I'm using eggshell calcium and gelatin purchased from Alnutrin as a substitute.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Thanks so much.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley has multiple protein allergies and so far, pork is the only one I found that he tolerates. He has been eating 100% home-made pork food for 3 weeks now and is doing very well on it. He does not have a weight issue, so I cook the meat with the fat, and trim half of it away before processing it into a pate. He loves it, eats it well (even with meds in it) and most inportantly has not had any allergy issues since being on it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 of my cats love pork. I feed in rotation with chicken and beef and pork seems to be everyone's favorite. The kitten and outdoor feral eat cubed pork butt or shoulder roast mixes, and the senior who is on a diet eats a lower calorie top pork loin mix with gelatin. No problems.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats really love pork. Because my son works at a pet food store and I get 50% off, I have him pick up 2 of the largest size RadCat Pork every month. I divide it up and it is in my rotation. I want to buy from HT when I can get ground shipping again (In Nov) Looking at www.rawfeedingmiami.com, their pork looks good.I was just about to place an order with them when hurricane Irma struck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the feed back! I greatly appreciate it. And Maureen, I'd never heard of Raw Feeding Miami before. Since I'm in Orlando they'd be a great source for me. After cruising around their website it seems that a lot of their meats are sold out. I wonder if this is just a fluke or if it's a normal thing?

Thanks again, everyone, for the feed back!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never ordered from them. A TCS member told me about them. I always order from Hare Today and love their products and service. The thing is from April thru Nov HT will not do a 4 day ground shipment. because food may not stay frozen in the heat. I live in CA so,a 4 day ground shipment is the earliest it could get here. I ordered about 145 lbs at the end of March I am grinding a lot now, trying to stretch it all out supplementing with Rad cat and Primal Freeze dried , I know Raw Feeding Miami will do a ground ship to me. I have noticed that when I try to put together a full order it seems they are out of something I want. I finally got lucky about 5 days before Irma but, realizing where that hurricane would hit I didn't place my order. They were out of commission for a few days after Irma, I am thinking that maybe they are just refreshing their stock, maybe they lost meat due to power outage. I hope they get everything in stock this week, I have about 16 days worth of food left in the freezer .

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats also love pork! They love Primal pork (most batches, anyway, though sometimes the nuggets seem, hm, too hard) and cooked pork (any cut) made with EZComplete... but, oddly, didn't really like Rad Car pork. I tried taking Primal out of their freeze-dried mix but they quickly got bored with it, so it's back, despite the inconsistency.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that I think about it, I've actually never fed pork due to personal preferences (mostly related to family). Why is there a belief that pork is bad for cats?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than religious reasons (where certain meats are forbidden as food), pork used to be contaminated with Trichinella. That is a type of roundworm. People would get infected with Trichinosis so everyone feared eating undercooked pork. Turns out the problem was caused largely by the unregulated feeding of garbage to pigs. The industry has been "cleaned up" for several decades, and you no longer hear of cases of Trich. Pork should be just as safe as any other meat.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for your next trivia game: Wild animals (bear, cougar, wild boar) still get infected with Trich. People in Alaska eat bear...and you'll still hear of cases of illness.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also read stuff about the fat molecules in pork being so large that they caused strokes in cats! :confused::rolleyes:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, now that I've actually read the linked article, I'm quite relieved. They're saying that pork is good and the rumor that pork globules caused strokes was an unfounded myth. Phew!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha...I'm kind of dense sometimes. I didn't realize that the word "here" was a link to an external site. :rolleyes: I thought you meant "here" as in a post at The Cat Site. :paperbag:
When I read your response I sorta thought that's what you thought. It made me laugh out loud, too. :crackup: