What do you put on your cat for fleas?

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there have been many threads in relation to this, but what do you put on your cat to kill fleas? Late last summer, my vet rubbed something between my cat's shoulder blades; she said it was one of the best things available to wipe out fleas. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it. And what with the weather warming up, my poor boy is scratching more and more. Help, please!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I get Advantage from the vet. It is applied between the shoulder blades

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got our kitten she had fleas, so we washed her with kitten shampoo from the pet store and that got rid of all of them.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
there's a ot of treatments that go between the shoulder blades, one is Advantage like Abby'smom said, there's also Revolution which also protects from some types of worms and Frontline too

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frontline spray and/or Spot on cat (applied between the shoulder blades)which is made by the same people

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used advantage in the past and it works great!! You literally see the fleas falling off the cat and they act all drunk...And then I squished them with a nail file...hahaha
that'll teach them to live on my cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

When we got our kitten she had fleas, so we washed her with kitten shampoo from the pet store and that got rid of all of them.
Be very careful of treating fleas (or anything) with OTC medications or shampoos from the pet store. Particularly Hartz product. These can do way more harm then good. Run everything by the vet first and for meds ONLY get it from the vet. Jenny82 was lucky her cat was okay, cats have died from this kind of thing so just be careful.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree wholeheartedly. Please do not use over-the-counter medications for fleas or worms.

Bijou goes outside occasionally so both he and Mika are treated with Revolution from April until October. It is put on the back of their neck and we separate them overnight so they cannot lick each other.

Last year we used Advantage - this year the Revolution. See your vet for a supply. We buy in 6 month packs for each kitty as the dosage given each cat depends on their weight - in our case Bijou is 16+ lbs. and Mika is about 8 lbs.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution from April to October...they don't go outside (unless they're on a leash) and the risk is pretty minute during the "deep freeze" of Chicago winters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you order these things through the mail (ie Jeffers, Drs. Foster & Smith, etc.) through the mail or perhaps pick them up at a pet store? Or is a vet the only place you can get them?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fronline you can get at some store like feed stores and some carry atvantage also but the vet is the best place... I am in a low flea and tick area so I use an herbal that I get at the pet store that my vet said was fine..

katlady007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i've been using revolution for over a year now and they have no fleas ear mites or worms, it is wonderful stuff.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by foxfire

Can you order these things through the mail (ie Jeffers, Drs. Foster & Smith, etc.) through the mail or perhaps pick them up at a pet store? Or is a vet the only place you can get them?
You can get some of these products on the internet, etc. but often you are not getting the real product - you are probably getting a knock-off. Also over-the-counter flea medications can be absolutely dangerous for your cats. Please go to a vet for your medications as he'll weigh your cat and give you correct dosages.