What do you guys think?

kinsey's pet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves to watch my gerbils and they don't seem to mind. Infact, they run upto her and sniff through the glass. When I'm not home I close the door so that she doesnt have access to them. Do you think they are bothered by a predator watching them, or would they act scared? I just dont want them to be under stress all the time.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I think if they were really scared, they would show it. Gerbils typically thump their feet when scared.

Still, it's probably a good idea to limit the time your cat spends near their cage, just in case it is stressing them out. Also, make sure your cat can't break the cage open or push it on the floor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kinsey's pet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she isnt strong enough. I keep them in a glass tank. yea, i only open the closet door when i'm home and supervising her. but when i move she will be able to see them when she wants. I will try to put them up high so they arent bothered.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make sure to carefully supervise. Even though the gerbils aren't scared and the cat isn't trying to hurt them, cats and dogs have bacteria in thier saliva that is poisonous to rodents. Make sure that kitty dosen't try to lick the gerbils because if they groom themselves afterwards, it could kill them. We have a hamster and three mice and Madden loves to watch them, and the hampster will actually meet him at the side of the cage, so I really wouldn't worry about them being stressed out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kinsey's pet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok well, good. She can't lick them. they are in a glass aquarium. (they chewed straight through the plastic one). I just hope she doesnt develop a further "interest" in them and try to get the lid off the cage.