What do you feed your cats on?

tobykitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a towel for my dog (She even knows "Keep it on your mat") but for Toby, because his food (ground H-T mixes) is so wet (and it's important to me it stay wet) I use these rubbermaid square plates.  I like them because they're really shallow so food can be spread around, but have a lip on them that prevents kitty from dragging food out of it. They're pretty easy to wash.

What do you feed your cat on?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l give mine raw too, so they need a lip to catch the juices. They like shallow dishes though.

These are the shallowest dishes l could find, so l got 6 (3 cats).

View media item 165610View media item 165611
l like that they're stainless steel, but don't like that they're not stamped with country of origin. That often influences my purchases on items coming into contact with food.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm lazy....don't want to wash 6 dishes 2 or 3 times a day in addition to the freezer containers.  I feed in the little paper "french fry trays".....I use the 6oz ones which are shallow and big enough not to interfere with whiskers.  Feed.....then throw them away.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View media item 165611l like that they're stainless steel, but don't like that they're not stamped with country of origin. That often influences my purchases on items coming into contact with food.
These are the same dishes I use with feeding Lox raw. I also put the dish on a place mat, just in case she drags.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been collecting Fiestaware for many years.  Until we added Cocoa, it never occurred to me to make use of all the little fruit bowls for their food. I have 16 of them I think lol. They are perfectly sized for 1/2 can of wet food, or kibble and, pretty too!

Of course, the only problem is if we go to use them for ourselves, like for ice cream (they are great for 2 little scoops), they think they are getting fed because they recognize the sound of them :p

Last edited:

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ceremic food ware is heavy and kittie does not have to scoot after the bowl when licking a light weight one.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those are very similar to the Fiesta!  Fiesta is ceramic.
:nod: These are glass. I personally prefer the glass, because I don't have to worry about the little crack thingies that occur in ceramics over time. I'd like a glass dish that has even lower sides than these little bowls, but haven't found anything.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe glass ashtrays would work?

lt's been years since l've seen an ashtray, but l remember a tempered glass one l had with low sides.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Those small-ish saucer plates that are supposed to be used with teacups/mugs. 

My girls are usually "neat' eaters, but even if they get a little messy it's easy to clean up because they are fed in the bathrooms on the linoleum floor.  Just takes a quick wipe down with a baby wipe. 

The boys, on the other hand... doesn't matter what plate/dish I use, they have to drag it out.  One gets a large placemat under his plate, the other gets an even larger plastic floor runner.  Again, cleanup is pretty easy, just a wider area.  lol

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I'm using a placemat for my one messy eater. :rolleyes: Makes clean-up a lot easier! :lol3:

Andrya, glass ashtrays are brilliant! I'm sure they still exist somewhere....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other search terms: glass or crystal:

coasters
bottle coasters
canape dishes (or plates)
and thanks to Furmonster Mom, glass saucers!

I'd tried hors d'oeuvre plates before, but couldn't find anything under 6" I liked.

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The big cats have their own stainless bowls and I've been using corelle salad plates for the kittens. I'm liking them so much I'm going to switch the big cats over to them. It's so nice to just be able to put them in the dishwasher. 

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was doing all wet and using a few(dozen) large stainless steel but do to money issues had to start using dry again.  Use hog feed pans that are steel.  Hold about 3 gallons water so they are pretty big.  Have 2 for water 2 for food.  And during summer add a few extra water bowl as we do not have central air

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use the saucers from my set of china .   Then I set those on their place mats and STILL occasionally one of them will actually drag a piece of meat out of the bowl and off the place mat onto the floor
.  Good thing we have tile floors!

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I feed from a bowl, but some ppl who visit believe it is ok to toss a piece of food from their plate to the floor for my GG who always wants to join us at the dinner table( a custom he was adopted with includes begging). I believe in not condoning this. What do you guys think? When I eat, he comes to beg but I have taught him to eat at his bowl. Or sit somewhere while I eat. He is very polite and lays within a couple of yards. Ignoring my plate. So how do you guys feel about feeding from the floor for apartment dwellers. Mind you we do not live on a farm. THANKS

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
We also do not allow begging at the dinner table.  And we request that guests honor the house rules. 

If I went to someone else's house with children, and they had dinner table rules for them (such as finish dinner before desert) I would not encourage the children to disobey the rules (by giving them sweets).  Same idea with pets.

If our furmonsters get too persistent at dinner time, they get put in the bedroom until dinner is over.  Most of them have got the message by now and do not beg.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still use the Durapet bowls, but I have recently started clicker training again during the 2 our of 3 meals I give my cat. I put a tad of the ground diet on a metal spoon when I do this. I guess yes, I am spoon-feeding my cat. But it's also teaching her a bunch of tricks! :) It really does strengthen the bond between us it seems... Maybe it's placebo though. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally found something I like and just ordered them. I couldn't find a glass version, but I'll give porcelain a try. They're 4 ounce creme brulee dishes!
I only ordered the one package of 6, even though I have 8 cats. Figure I'll see if it's worth ordering another batch first. :lol3: