What do you feed you fur babies?

chii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just random post, I'm interested in what every one else thinks are good foods.
My babies eat instinct food twice a day for dry food, and they get wet food once a day, I use natural balance for wet food.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties eat all wet food. The senior cat usually eats 2x per day and the younger kitties often have 3 meals a day. I rotate between a large assortment of brands. Some that I've used have been 4Health, Whole Earth Farms, Canidae, Blue Wilderness, Wellness, Tiki Cat, etc. I also have some commercial raw in the freezer and some homemade cooked chicken cat food. 

I plan on making homemade venison cat food with my friend soon. It should be interesting.

On my next order, I hope to try the chicken and lamb varieties of Nature's Variety Instinct canned foods and also try Wellness Core food.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats each get a  can of  Fancy Feast Classic twice a day . They also get 1/8 cup of Evo kibble .  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything high in fiber?? Got a kitten with loose stools if she doesn't get enough fiber!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Macha loves dried foods only (Royal Canin) I tried canned foods and she doesn't like it.

Thank God she is very healthy, playful and very happy cat.

Most of the cats loves canned foods.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! Where can you buy?
Im from the England, United Kingdom. It is available is the USA though at
www.almonature.us
The Almo canned food sold in the US are not complete diets. It is just meat or fish in water. The canned is meant to be fed with the Almo dry food http://www.almonature.us/gatto/legend/

The UK has several different Almo canned and pouched foods, all of which are also supplement / treat type foods except the "Sterilised" one which is a complete diet.

For something similar to Almo but is a complete diet, try any of the Weruva foods plus their similar but lesser expensive and more widely available (well, sold at Petco instead of only at independent stores) Soulistic brand.

I feed raw food but I do keep some canned food on hand. I like Nature's Variety Instinct and Weruva.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a really good approach,  especially since they're shelf stable. That way in an emergency/natural disaster or if something prevented you from making or buying a batch of raw, your fur babies would have some tried and true canned foods to fall back on. I'll bet that your kitties are super healthy!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For wet I feed ziwipeak, weruva, tikicat, soulistic, and nutro 

For raw i feed rad cat and raw i make. 

For dry i feed: orijen and ziwipeak air dried. 

Last edited:

elliot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For dry, Arya gets Purina One Smartblend Healthy Kitten Food.

For wet she gets NutroMax kitten, Fancy Feast kitten and classic, Merrick Purrfect Bistro, Merrick LID, and sometimes whatever else is on sale that is healthy.

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old (Tigra - pronounced Ty-gruh like the Thundercat) gets a mixture of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Indoor Hairball control and Halo Spot's Stew Grain Free Chicken. I normally mix both for her about 3 to 4 times a week. I also give her some wet food. The brands vary: Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Healthy Gourmet, Freedom, Basics; Nature's Variety Instinct/Pride Beef, Rabbit, Chicken; Merrick Limited Ingredient; Halo/Vigor/Impulse; Natural Balance Platefulls; Wellness Healthy Indulgence; Fancy Feast, Beyond, Science Diet

My 7 month old (Lincoln or Link like Legends of Zelda) gets a mixture of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten and Nature's Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein Chicken. I give him a mixture of this twice a week, since he usually eats some of Tygra's mixture. He also get the same kinds of wet food because most are all life stages food. He gets more Natural Balance though. Tygra doesn't do so well on Natural Balance foods but she is okay with the Platefuls. Lincoln also gets Soulistic and Pureed Pumpkin too. 

Last edited:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For wet, mine get a mix of Wellness Grain Free, Dave's, Merrick's, and Wuerva/CITK.

For dry, they get a little bit of Merrick's LID Turkey as a snack. 

I also just started Primal Freeze Dried Raw with them and it's a hit. My female cat prefers the freeze dried over everything. 

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed dry Hills Ideal Balance Kitten food and leave it out all day for my boy to nibble on, he probably gets about 1/2 cup or so a day, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the measurements but that seems approximate.

Then he gets 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can, or 1/2 a 3 oz can 2 times a day, I rotate between lots of different kinds, usually Science Diet, Royal Canin, Fancy Feast, Sheba, Blue Buffalo, Authority, & I have a couple cans of Abound Grain Free I bought to try but he hasn't had it yet, but if he likes it that will be included in the rotation.  If there is something on sale at Pet Smart he hasn't tried in wet food I buy a can, and if he likes it it gets included in the rotation.  We are still in the process of finding foods he will eat when it comes to wet.  If he eats all his wet early enough in the morning, I give him another 1/4 of a can at lunch time (or the rest of the 3oz can).  Once he gets older I will phase out the dry food and up the wet food.  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Originally, Hekitty was getting 1/2 cup of Pure Balance dry food, in two 1/4 cup servings per day.  However, she never eats all of one until almost time for the second, so I've begun feeding the 1/2 cup in the morning.  She finishes it about 10:00pm.  She's always been a grazer. 

She will not touch canned food, or human food, either raw or cooked.  I do have 4 watering stations for her throughout the house to ensure that she takes in enough water.  Oh...and there is the 5th watering station...the toilet.  I tried keeping the lid down to prevent this, but she manages to push her way under it to drink when the mood strikes, ignoring the watering station strategically placed in the bathroom in a forlorn attempt to keep out of the potty.  SO...guess who has the cleanest toilet in town?  I refer to my daily scrubbing of said facility as "cleaning the cat's bowl."

I wonder why she likes that so much?  I have a watering station that actually provides moving water (her second favorite).  I'm wondering if the position (head lower than fanny, crouched) speaks to her of her wild ancestors crouching at streams and pools to drink.

rainbowkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cat kit & kaboodle but now I'm changing from that brand to meow mix when I found out that cats died from kit & kaboodle.

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast, Wellness and Meow Mix.

I feed the wet Fancy Feast and Meow Mix only and Wellness for dry

Kiki is really picky so yeah.

samk1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always make sure my cat's food is rich in protein and low in carbohydrates...