What Do Various Color Patterns In Kittens Tell About The Parents? How Do They Match Up?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m fascinated by cat genetics. I’ve been keeping tabs on a Mom cat and her litter. The kittens aren’t quite old enough to be separated but when they are, I’m going to be fostering them.

Momma cat (who i can’t seem to trap) is a white cat with circular dark blue or gray spots on her. Her kittens are a tuxedo and a gray one. What do these colorings indicate the father looks like?

I managed to catch and give a few kisses to this little guy the other day.

Does anyone have any good books on cat genetics they’d recommend?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma seems to be a harlequine patterned bi-color. Its a rather strong pattern, and thus, the kittens tends to also be a bicolor.

What we know of the father, is the negative - he hasnt no yet stronger patterns, so he isnt a tabby for example...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many kittens are there? Are you feeding the mom? Do you have a trap set daily?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually pull feral/stray kittens from mom earlier so that they don't turn feral.. that kitten looks a little over 6 weeks old... I think you could bring them inside once you catch them again. Then you can work on getting mom fixed. But if you bring them in now they can start learning how nice people are and how to use the litter box and you can start getting rid of all of the parasites that outside kitties are prone to.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Kittens from shy semiferales are one of the few exceptions from the otherwise holy rule of minimum 8 weeks.
Simply because they are easier to catch, and much easier to foster into fully socialized home cats.
This is, IF there is a foster or adoption home waiting.

The other exception is of course dire necessity when we must try to save what may be saved.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To complicate further, there may be more than one dad! That kitten is scared to death in that picture, they definitely need to be caught now and tamed before they get too fast and smart to catch. Mama needs cuaght now to be spayed, she could already be pregnant, three litters/year are not uncommon. She may be easier to catch now if her kittens are caught, you could put them in a cage inside a shed or large dog crate, and she may go to them. I have tied a 100 foot twine to the door and hid, pulling the door shut when she goes in. I got a whole family this way by getting them used to eating in a shed. It is really scary and heartbreaking to do this, they are so scared, but in the long run it is so worth it!