What Do These Cats Feel Like? (sphynx, Bsh, Rexes)

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't yet had a chance to catch a cat show so I have only ever seen photos and videos of cats with special fur (or no fur!) but I am just dying to know what they feel like! Anyone with experience up for describing them for me so I can get an idea? (Please don't compare them to fabrics though because I know nothing about fabrics and the analogy would be wasted)

I'm really curious about the Sphynx, Rex cats (Cornish Rex, Devon Rex, Selkirk Rex), and the British Shorthair (densest coat of all :eek: ) as well as any other unusual breeds you can think of.

Also, a question for discussion: Which cat breed(s) do you think has the softest fur?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve never felt a Sphynx, but I have pet the other breeds at cat shows. Devon and Cornish Rex feel very soft, and they’re both warm to the touch because their short coat is so close to their body. Selkirk Rex have a longer coat that is also curly. British Shorthair feel soft and petting them their fur feels dense. It’s hard to describe, but petting any of these wonderful breeds is a treat, and definitely worth heading over to a cat show!

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
British shorthair fur is soft, dense and shiny. It is like you are touching a piece of very unique, precious, luxury super soft carpet and your hands just go over the fur smoothly.
That is how I would describe my BHS boy in the picture. I miss him dearly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the explanations! It's nice to know that the Rexes are as soft as they look, the curly coats look as soft as clouds to me. Selkirks kind of remind me of poodles, are they also soft like the Devon and Cornish Rex?

British Shorthair coats sound like a dream! I can't wait till I get a chance to meet one at a cat show. Your British Shorthair looks very handsome, Nese, it sounds like he was a very sweet soul. I love his blue coat! I am hoping to get a BSH in the future.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you L Luvyna , yes he was the sweetest cat I have ever met, a true gentleman. Generally BHS cats have very calm and sweet personality towards everyone in the house including other pets. But they REALLY do not like to cuddle and be petted much.
I hope you get one in the future.:catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! That seems to fit well since I am looking to get one calm and independent cat, and one playful and affectionate cat. I hope I can meet a BSH at a cat show some time soon!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sphynx (sphynxes? What is the plural of "sphynx" anyway?) feel like the inside of your cat's ear when you give them an "ear massage." They don't feel dry to the touch. Cats' skin gives off oils which get distributed to the fur. In the case of a sphynx, there's almost no hair, so the oils stay on the skin.