What do I feed them?

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am pretty upset about the Wellness recall. It was the one food that everybody was doing well on. I have a whole case of recalled food that I have to return.

Pandora can't eat Halo she will projectile vomit that, she doesn't like Organix or Blue. The only canned food she will eat is patte (sp?). She won't eat chunks so the pouches are out.

Lilly has problems with food allergies she can't eat food with any grains and she can't eat Natural Balance.. She had severe runny poo on Natural Balance.

Arg!

So far Hurley is the only one who can eat anything.

I am not fond of Science diet so that would be a very last resort.

I want to feed them a high quality food that they will all do well on. I'm open to suggestions. I have a Petsmart, Petco and a few smaller pet stores around me. Also there are a couple of feed stores, but I don't know what kind of food they carry.

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May I ask why you won't purchase Wellness anymore? In the grand scheme of things, could have been a LOT worse as far as why it was being recalled and seems to affect batches made during a certain time period. To me that says we messed up here for a little bit, but the system itself isn't broken. I don't know quality wise, that Wellness is any more vulnerable than other brands which is why I asked about switching.

My kitties do well on Innova Evo, the 95% meat formula.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I, too, feed wellness wet food. But, in all reality, it almost makes me trust them more that they would pull these canned foods and put out a recall on the cans affected. I am not too worried about switching foods at all and will keep using Wellness because I have such good luck with Pipsqueak on it. At least they are on top of quality control and the ingredients and are checking levels of the nutrients at the factory.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't use wellness here however i am familiar with the recall. Obviously, personal choice but since yours are doing well on it, i would leave it.

Yes, recalls are concerning but it's next to impossible to find a brand that hasn't had one, rather than attempting to avoid a brand that has 'never had a recall'

I examine how did they handle it and what exactly went wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm just really irritated about this. Wellness is not cheap. They justify the cost of the food by saying that their food is tested by a private firm and then I find out that it's been recalled. I've been feeding my cats food that has been recalled and it's upsetting. I'm glad it's not tainted, but it's still upsetting.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2coolCats

May I ask why you won't purchase Wellness anymore? In the grand scheme of things, could have been a LOT worse as far as why it was being recalled and seems to affect batches made during a certain time period. To me that says we messed up here for a little bit, but the system itself isn't broken. I don't know quality wise, that Wellness is any more vulnerable than other brands which is why I asked about switching.

My kitties do well on Innova Evo, the 95% meat formula.
It's not that I won't purchase Wellness anymore, it's the fact that all the food I had on hand was recalled and all the stores in town have pulled all the Wellness canned so there is none available for me to purchase. So I'm trying to figure out what to feed them for now until Wellness is available again.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauren_miller

I guess I'm just really irritated about this. Wellness is not cheap. They justify the cost of the food by saying that their food is tested by a private firm and then I find out that it's been recalled. I've been feeding my cats food that has been recalled and it's upsetting. I'm glad it's not tainted, but it's still upsetting.
I completley understand, it IS frustrating but i don't know how to avoid it..

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't either, just needed vent! It's so frustrating!

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauren_miller

It's not that I won't purchase Wellness anymore, it's the fact that all the food I had on hand was recalled and all the stores in town have pulled all the Wellness canned so there is none available for me to purchase. So I'm trying to figure out what to feed them for now until Wellness is available again.
Goodness, it's weird that your store would pull all the cans. I hope the whole store's supply wasn't part of the recall. That does put you in a stressful situation!

I have a bag of TOTW I was feeding along with the Wellness so thankfully they have that as I didn't get to the pet store today. It's 30 miles each way but I got an email from Petsmart saying bring the cans in for a full refund. So I may make the trip and turn my cans in and use a few $1 off coupons to get some more for cheap.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was at the Natural Pet food store where I get my food, they were going through all the cans one-by-one looking at the dates. I was able to buy more cans with dates before or after the recalled cans. They were not pulling all of the cans