What could these bald patches be on my cats back feet?

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I just adopted the sweetest little cat a few days ago and noticed these bald patches of skin on each back foot in a similar pattern. I noticed them when I adopted her and thought it was because of how she had been sitting on a hard surface as well as how she’d jump on top of things from a hard floor every day. Everyone at the shelter cared for her a lot so I’m sure someone would have noticed this. But maybe not?

The more I look at them though, the more I worry about ringworm. They’re pretty much a very similar pattern on each foot, which makes me switch back to thinking it just being her fur worn off.

I was told she went through some health issues while she was at the shelter and is still recovering from that. Her fur overall is a little oily and she needs to keep gaining weight. Maybe because of her health troubles it made her prone to losing fur more easily there.

I am going to make an appointment for this and was already planning on one for a general health checkup. Would really like to know your thoughts. I don’t want to stress about this alone until she can get a vet visit. :(

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a blacklight that I have used to look at the spots and they don’t glow. I know that doesn’t always show ringworm but I thought I’d mention it.

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm not a vet, but I think that's wear from sitting, jumping and lack of nutrition.

What are/will you be feeding your little sweetie?
Thank you for the reply! I’m feeding her “Science Diet: Sensitive Stomach and Skin”, both wet and dry food. The shelter gave it to me for her. (they really did care about her a lot :) ). One person at the shelter said she thought she had been on prescription science diet but the food they gave me isn’t prescription. Maybe it wasn’t but I’m going to be asking the vet if she needs it just in case.
If her fur loss is because of the reasons you said that would definitely make a lot of sense.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom - about wear-n-tear and nutrition. Although not impossible, that is a highly unlikely place for ringworm to start, especially since it is coincidentally in the very same spot on both back legs. I know there are exceptions to everything, but it seems to me that if ringworms starts on the extremities the paws are a more common place.

Good luck at the vets!!

Quail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom - about wear-n-tear and nutrition. Although not impossible, that is a highly unlikely place for ringworm to start, especially since it is coincidentally in the very same spot on both back legs. I know there are exceptions to everything, but it seems to me that if ringworms starts on the extremities the paws are a more common place.

Good luck at the vets!!
Thank you very much! I feel much better. :) This little kitty has been through a lot already.