What could my rescued kitten be described as ?

phyphia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little background - This is Cinder. We rescued him when he was far too young to be separated from his litter, he was but 3-4 weeks old.

Unfortunately he was abused and traumatized, now he isn't very social and not a lap cat at all. He bites a lot so if anyone has ANY tips about this I would appreciate. Recently he has been trying to bite gently or to avoid biting, but as soon as I try to pick him up he begins again.

His fur - As you can see from the pictures his fur is black but has markings. When he sleeps you can even see the W/M shape that is darker on his forehead and when he lays on his back his tummy looks very patterned. Underneath his black fur is a layer of white. I'm not sure if he belongs to any breed, his tail is broken-looking too and he has one white whisker. 

The first picure is the first one I took of him days after we got him.

What do you guys think he can be categorized as? Also, he is starting to shed, is his color going to change? Thank you for helping me with my curiosity!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is a black smoke, he is a tabby, so it will give, a black smoke tabby.   Not the most common around, but we must says so.   :)

As for breed, he is surely a shorhaired domestic, but if you can find a breed whom he is a look alike...   I dont recall any at this moment.

Re his biting, etc,  I would recommend you to put that question in the Behavior forum, or as he is a kitten even in the Preg and Kitten care forum.

You will get more answers there.

Anyway, as you tell he is trying to not to bite, or just bite softly, Im sure the problem will be smaller and smaller.

Very pretty kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phyphia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Now that I googled it I see he is a black smoke cat indeed. I appreciate your input tons :)

I will most likely ask in the other forum sections about his behavior, thanks for the tip!

basse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat used to bite me aswell just when I got him and I think that's because his last owners mistreated him. Now he is a very sweet cat who never bites me and if he does, it's only lovebites. The thing that made my cat stop biting was me not being insecure and showing that I was cautious around him in situations where I knew he usually bites, because this made him suspicious and more prone to actually bite me. Now I don't know how you are with your kitten and maybe it's different for your cat since you know he has been abused, but at least for me what helped was being as calm myself as I wished my cat would be and when he did bite to try and distract with something else. Perhaps try having a treat in your hand while lifting him up to get him to think of getting lift up as something positive and get his thoughts away from biting.

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful black smoke. I have one myself. They are possibly my favorite type of cat. I heard they they are the solid version of "silver tabbies" because black smokes apparently must have the the same gene that makes regular tabbies silver tabbies. So that gene makes smokes, smokes rather than regular solid black cats. As for the biting, if it were me I would just ignore it, and avoid doing things that makes him bite. Eventually he may loose the habit when he learns there is no need to bite u and when he trusts u %100