What Combination Of Breeds Could My Cat Possibly Be???

Aphro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello everyone! ! Irescued my baby girl (Karmen) with my boyfriend from the street 2 years ago! When she was just a baby! She is has very short legs and small body but extremely long tail! Her fur is blackish-red and white and even where it is black it is light gray near the skin!! Also during winter she is much fluffier than the summer months! She
is very talkative and she mostly does weird voices instead of mew! Her eyes (which were infected when we found her so she can't see very well and the light isn't reflected well are yellow-green).The only thing that we know for her is that her mom who was also adopted is long haired and has mainly orange light brownish and white fur! Karmen's sisters were shorthaired though.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Katmen is certainly a beautiful girl :lovecat3: I'd say she's a black and white domestic longhair. The reddish tinge to her fur is known as 'rusting' (which is caused by sunlight in some black kitties). My all-black girl gets that too - I think of it as natural highights :winkcat: Most black kitties have greyish fur-roots too :)

It's pretty common for long haired and short haired cats to be born in the same litter. It just means that one or both if the parents carried the shorthair gene.

She sounds like a real character. I love talkative kitties :D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The reddish may be the rusty, but I myself think she is a calico for real. Also her momma is prob a calico. Even if it may be she wom is rusty, as you write she is brownish in her dark parts, not black...

Tortie / calico mommas do often get daus tortie / calico.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reddish may be the rusty, but I myself think she is a calico for real. Also her momma is prob a calico. Even if it may be she wom is rusty, as you write she is brownish in her dark parts, not black...

As always, I now to your greater experience and knowledge in this area, Stefan :worship:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aphro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Katmen is certainly a beautiful girl :lovecat3: I'd say she's a black and white domestic longhair. The reddish tinge to her fur is known as 'rusting' (which is caused by sunlight in some black kitties). My all-black girl gets that too - I think of it as natural highights :winkcat: Most black kitties have greyish fur-roots too :)

It's pretty common for long haired and short haired cats to be born in the same litter. It just means that one or both if the parents carried the shorthair gene.

She sounds like a real character. I love talkative kitties :D
Thank youuuu!!!!! She is indeed very fun to be around! She even plays fetch (I've never taught her that it just happened!! ) The different colorations look like natural highlights! That's for sure! I don't know if that's the correct term but I like it!!!! ❤❤
I love talkative kitties too!!!

Aphro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank youuuu!!! I managed to find a photo of her mommy because I really don't know how to describe her colors!!! Her dark dark parts of Karmen are solid black while others nothing near black! It is like she has highlights! We live in Greece and the sun here is ruthless, and her favourite place is in front of the window!!! And I thought if that could play a part as well!!
FB_IMG_1515500276633.jpg

And this is Karmen during the Winter months :
20171028_171345.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, momma is very much a calico...

Longhairs tend to have somewhat shorter legs than shorthairs. i dont know why, its perhaps in part an optical impression.

Beautiful girls both!

Aphro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, momma is very much a calico...

Longhairs tend to have somewhat shorter legs than shorthairs. i dont know why, its perhaps in part an optical impression.

Beautiful girls both!
Thank you so much for the info and for explaining me about her momma!!!
Karmen's colors are probably due to both her mom's colors and the sun!!! It makes sense!!! She is my first kitty and I have no idea how these things go! !! I also didn't know about the legs! She has become so fluffy now though that she looks like a fluffball walking! ❤❤ When her fur was shorter her proportions were more visible!!! Either way she is my mini bean !!