What colour tortoiseshell is my cat?

chou_chou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always described my cat as a regular black torti. One clinic called my cat chocolate torti (I think she’s black though), and another listed her as torti smoke. What colour do you think her coat is? She does have a grayish white/cream undercoat but since I always clip her, I’m not sure if it’s ticked or not. When I clip her short, she looks like a dilute torti/silver colour with spaced out black guard hairs. The photo of her in a harness is when she was a kitten and hadn’t been clipped yet.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That was very fussy / knowleable by your vets... They are seldom much more knowleable re breeds than to see difference between a persian and a siamese. (somewhat exagerrated, but you see the idea).

I want just to say, the much whitish is not proof of smoke white, but its not uncommon with longhaired black cats... Esp the mane become often whitish...

Although in some areas she does looks somewhat smoke, she does... Still, if you arent a breeder or a show Judge, I dont understand why the vet should bother.

Gorgious girl!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's black tortoiseshell.
The creamy color is common for them as StefanZ StefanZ mentioned. If it were white then she'd be calico.
She does not look smoke at all to me.
A vet should put down whatever you call her - it's not like he should care or it would matter since she's not being shown.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous, ❤ torties… I would say black tortie too, the cream is part of it and the long hair accentuates it being lighter. I am not sure about smoke smoke tortie is very hard to tell. I get confused by silver and smoke. Here are pictures of 2 persian tortie smoke kitties. Her breeder if she is pb should know the color.
IMG_9467.jpeg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I get confused by silver and smoke.
Smoke is the term for for white roots on solid colors. In general silver is the term for white roots on a tabby pattern. However, the persian breeds seem to use the term silver differently. So I'm just as confused as you are.