What Colour Kittens

Lunarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My lilac British shorthair is currently pregnant, my garden is cat proofed and unfortunately a black cat got in, I just wondered about the blood group would that make a difference if it’s not a british shorthair cat and also wondered what colour the kittens would be? Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lutece lutece ? Different blood groups may cause problems. its not often seen in cats, but I suspect some of the cases with kittens dying or being stillborne without clear reason, some of them could be caused by different blood groups.
And its almost only owners of purebreds whom sometimes do an afteranalyse. Owners of moggies, or caretakers of rescue cats, almost never do this costly afteranalyse on why the kitten was stillborne. So we simply dont know.

Why do you suspect this unknown blackie has different blood group? Are British renown for different blood groups than most other cats? Has your female such an odd blood group?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you suspect this unknown blackie has different blood group? Are British renown for different blood groups than most other cats? Has your female such an odd blood group?
British Shorthairs frequently have B blood type, while the majority of random-bred cats have A blood type. Because B blood type is a recessive trait in cats, if you breed a female with B blood type to a male with A blood type, kittens are likely to have A blood type which can cause a potentially fatal condition in the kittens known as neonatal isoerythrolysis. Here's some information:
Feline blood groups and blood incompatibility | International Cat Care

L Lunarose have you had your lilac British SH girl blood typed and is she type B? If so, it would be prudent to plan to separate any A blood type kittens from her for the first 24 hours. You can hand feed them goat's milk or kitten milk replacer for 24 hours. After 24 hours they can nurse from mom without risk of neonatal isoerythrolysis. See the above link for more information.

As far as what color the kittens will be, if the solid black male that you saw is indeed the father of the litter:
  • If the male happens to carry dilute (blue), you would expect on average 50% black kittens and 50% blue kittens. If he doesn't carry dilute, all of the kittens will be black.
  • There's a slight chance that both your girl and the male may carry colorpoint, in which case you might get seal point or blue point kittens. Pointed kittens would be white at birth and gradually darken at the points.
  • Lilac kittens (like mom) or chocolate kittens are very unlikely, since the chocolate gene is very rare in random-bred cats. However in the unlikely event that the solid black male did carry chocolate, you could theoretically get chocolate or lilac kittens.
  • If you see any tabby kittens, you will know that the solid black cat was not the father, as tabby is dominant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lunarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all and thank you for your replies, the kittens have been born she had 6 babies not in the birthing box that was prepared she preferred to have them on the floor, they are all black with a greyish undertone and some like they have little stripes, mum and babies are all doing really well and they are gaining weight daily
025F08AE-A7F7-41FD-B61F-3FCD89F1AF56.jpeg
025F08AE-A7F7-41FD-B61F-3FCD89F1AF56.jpeg
DF4F9E10-2D3F-4C83-9E07-7B15247B04B4.jpeg
5277AD3C-62F5-4161-8318-D2EDA188A635.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What cute pictures! I'm glad they are all doing well. The kittens appear to be all black; the slight stripes that you describe are just "ghost markings" that will fade when they are adults.

Lunarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What cute pictures! I'm glad they are all doing well. The kittens appear to be all black; the slight stripes that you describe are just "ghost markings" that will fade when they are adults.
Thank you I did think they would fade away as they got older

Lunarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I’d show you an up to date picture now they are getting bigger, mum and babies are doing amazing and gaining weight, all kittens have now opened their eyes too

143BFC63-9653-487F-9AA9-7245651F50AF.jpeg