What color?

mrsacolby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a black and white mama kitty I was unable to get fixed in time. The only two males that could have gotten to her are either a brown tabby or a black/grey tabby. However she has two kittens that look like they are a cream color. Not sure how that is possible.
20230402_155535.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These cream kittens are points. Ie both momma and the father are carriers of the point gene, which gives 1-2 of the kittens in the litter tend to be points - colorpoints... "siamese-mixes". I expect they will be seal lynx point with white. Ie black tabby point, with some white spots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsacolby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Attached are possible father's....
IMG_20230402_165309.jpg
IMG_20230402_165251.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Both are tabbies, one seems to be brown tabby, one grey tabby. But if momma doesnt carry dilutation gene, kids will be black / brown tabby... Momma has white spot, and one tom has white spot too... If kittens has much white, its the grey with white whom is father. If not, its the other.

I see the non point kittens have only white paws, as momma? So a guess is its the tabby without white whom is father.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Non white tabby has looks almost as an orientale / siamese mix... Muzzle, ears...
My guess he has a near Ancestry of a decently purebred siamese. So nothing peculiar he has 1 pointed gene.

Momma has of course she too 1 colorpoint gene she too.

ps2. The whitish an muzzle isnt no true white spot, its just something typical for tabbies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsacolby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. Non white tabby has looks almost as an orientale / siamese mix... Muzzle, ears...
My guess he has a near Ancestry of a decently purebred siamese. So nothing peculiar he has 1 pointed gene.

Momma has of course she too 1 colorpoint gene she too.

ps2. The whitish an muzzle isnt no true white spot, its just something typical for tabbies.
Yeah I know he doesn't have white. We actually were thinking he may have Oriental of some sort because of his face shape and giant ears. He came to us because of him sneaking into my dad's van somewhere so no idea on his history. The mama was a feral cat recovered from a hotel so unsure about her ancestry but she isn't really a big kitty. She's black with a lot of white on her belly, paws and some on her face under her chin. I was thinking it was the grey tabby being the sire as he was the most likely one. Baby pics attached was checking them over and got pics. They are doing good and mama happy with her new nesting area. Thanks for your replies.

Attachments

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree; when you get unexpected white kittens in a litter, it’s usually the colorpoint gene. All colorpoint kittens are born either pure white or close to it. If they are pointed, the colors on their paws, faces, and tails should start showing up within 4-14 days unless they are very pale or diluted points. Those colors will continue to darken a lot for about a year, and then more gradually throughout their lives. Take lots of pictures, their colors change fast and it’s fun to look back and see the difference!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such cuties 😻 Agree those are prolly colorpoints and the possible dad looks oriental too. Usually in 1-2 weeks at most the points show on the nose first and ears. If they are seal lynxpoints it will be darker and show faster. Here is my Quinn when he was about 2 weeks, he is a seal point siamese.

One thing I noticed which seems maybe odd, to me anyway, is that one of the possible point kitten’s nose is very pink. I can’t remember what the colors are for all of the various point possibilities now for the nose but for say blue point and seal point they have a darker nose pad, but maybe it darkens as they age. So, that kitten may end up being pointed with white spotting on the face. I can also already see some stripe on the face and tail, so lynx-point prolly.

599373D3-1027-4EC2-B377-7E2C5E14C88A.jpeg

Last edited:

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
Such cuties 😻 Agree those are prolly colorpoints and the possible dad looks oriental too. Usually in 1-2 weeks at most the points show on the nose first and ears. If they are seal lynxpoints it will be darker and show faster. Here is my Quinn when he was about 2 weeks, he is a seal point siamese.

One thing I noticed which seems maybe odd, to me anyway, is that one of the possible point kitten’s nose is very pink. I can’t remember what the colors are for all of the various point possibilities now for the nose but for say blue point and seal point they have a darker nose pad, but maybe it darkens as they age. So, that kitten may end up being pointed with white spotting on the face. I can also already see some stripe on the face and tail, so lynx-point prolly.

View attachment 447389
I agree, they will probably be lynx points, since the other kittens are tabby. Lighter nose leather can be associated with dilute colors, red coloration, lynx points, or white on the face. We know it’s not red because of the colors of mom and dad, and dilute is highly unlikely but not impossible. Both lynx point and white on the face are very likely in this litter.

I see this post is about a week old; have their colors started coming in yet? Just curious to see what they look like now.