What color is Zebu?

zebu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya,

this is our little kitty, Zebulon  (picasaweb link, I can't seem to insert pics here for some reason :( ).

I was wondering, what his color is called "officially", I never had a cat like him.

Strange thing is that his fur is only partly this light-brownish-cappuccino color, the root of the fur is white, is that normal?

Does this has a specific name? I'm not even sure about the color (but well, I'm no native english speaker... :)

Here is also a video about him:

Cheers from Hungary!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not an expert for color so I won't even try but I wanted to tell you that your kitty is totally adorable!  What a wonderful video 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Zebu looks like Cream Shaded Cameo    ( a combination of the dilute version of red, plus the Inhibitor gene that inhibitors color on the part of the hairs closest to the roots -- it pushes out the color to just the ends.   The more extreme  version of it is called " tipped"   or " chinchilla"  )   

but it's just possible the base color is something more unusual like fawn instead of cream.  ( and I don't even know what the official name would be for that!)  

the pictures and video are super cute.    I can tell Zebu is a much loved young kitty! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zebu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the kind answers :)Zebu is a very cute and good mannered kitty, we love him very much.It's so much fun watching him grow!
 but it's just possible the base color is something more unusual like fawn instead of cream.  ( and I don't even know what the official name would be for that!)  

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 OK thanks for putting up that photo and letting me know that this photo is the best representation of his color.  It confirms my initial thought that the base color does look like Cream,   which is sort of like a pale peach color.  

Cream is the dilute version of Red.  If it turns out brighter / deeper orange,   it  would be  Red instead of Cream.  

I think the more modern way to say his color would be "Cream Shaded"    or  " Cream Silver Shaded"    The word "Cameo " is an older term for a Silver when it's combined with Red.  And since Cream is the dilute of Red,   people used the same term along with the word Cream ,  as "Cream Cameo" .   and some breeders still say it that way.  

Re the idea about other colors,   It's just that one or two of the photos made me wonder if I were wrong about cream  and started wondering if it could be another light color like fawn or lilac.. Fawn is like a warm pale tan.    That would have been very unlikely in a Persian.   I think it may not even be a recognized  color for Persians.      Lilac is more like a pinkish grey, though.    but colors don't always turn out exactly like the ideal. 

Do you happen to know the color  of his mother?  That would at least tell  if it's possible for him to have red based or black based color.   ( unless she is a tortie in which case he could have either)   

zebu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 OK thanks for putting up that photo and letting me know that this photo is the best representation of his color.  It confirms my initial thought that the base color does look like Cream,   which is sort of like a pale peach color.  

Cream is the dilute version of Red.  If it turns out brighter / deeper orange,   it  would be  Red instead of Cream.  

I think the more modern way to say his color would be "Cream Shaded"    or  " Cream Silver Shaded"    The word "Cameo " is an older term for a Silver when it's combined with Red.  And since Cream is the dilute of Red,   people used the same term along with the word Cream ,  as "Cream Cameo" .   and some breeders still say it that way.  

Re the idea about other colors,   It's just that one or two of the photos made me wonder if I were wrong about cream  and started wondering if it could be another light color like fawn or lilac.. Fawn is like a warm pale tan.    That would have been very unlikely in a Persian.   I think it may not even be a recognized  color for Persians.      Lilac is more like a pinkish grey, though.    but colors don't always turn out exactly like the ideal. 

Do you happen to know the color  of his mother?  That would at least tell  if it's possible for him to have red based or black based color.   ( unless she is a tortie in which case he could have either)   
It seems every day his color is getting a bit paler, changing to more of a brownish-coffee-like color (example), what could be fawn based on the descriptions, but I don't have any verified pics to compare to, so I don't know.

Unfortunately I'm not a very good photographer, so I cannot make a picture that fully represents the correct color :)

Maybe in time it will be more apparent.

I googled a bit last night, and I also read that fawn isn't recognized as a persian color.

I have uploaded pics of the parents: mother  & father.

We got Zebu from a nice lady (owner of the mother), who isn't a "breeder". It was Maya's (mother) first litter.

I was told that the parents are persian, I don't know whether they have papers or not, I didn't ask (but I think I could), it wasn't that important to us. 

I don't know about the mother though, her face isn't something like I'd imagine for a persian.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Zebu's mom is red and white.  So Zebu cannot be fawn or lilac.  He has to be red or cream.     Right now he looks more cream.   If he ends up a brighter orange ,  that would be Red.   ( plus he is Shaded,)

She looks like she could be a Persian mix. 

It's not a matter of not being a good photographer,   I think you take very nice photos.   but colors can look different in different lighting .   Natural light is usually best to see accurate color.    But also colors can look different from one computer monitor to another.  

In any case from seeing his mom's color,  we can  tell he must have red-based color.  

zebu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the answer is a cream cameo persian mix then :)

Thank you very much for all the comments and responses.

The picasaweb album will be updated regularly, if anyone is interested in his future development.

I'm very curious how will he look like, when he grows up :)

We might even try a pet show sometime in the future, it seems fun, also Zebu likes people, and being in the center of attention (but I don't know how I feel about cutting his nails...), so we'll see. 

So thanks again, I'm happy I found such a nice forum!