What color is this kitten ?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you considering buying the kitten? Or just curious?

If considering buying, be very careful buying kittens from Craigslist. Backyard breeders and scamming for kittens (and puppies) is very common. When it comes to cats, if they claim the kitten is any specific breed be triple cautious because I have NEVER seen a cat who is actually the breed claimed on Craigslist. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you considering buying the kitten? Or just curious?

If considering buying, be very careful buying kittens from Craigslist. Backyard breeders and scamming for kittens (and puppies) is very common. When it comes to cats, if they claim the kitten is any specific breed be triple cautious because I have NEVER seen a cat who is actually the breed claimed on Craigslist. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it.
I was just curious. He's up for adoption with a rescue group . I'd love to have him if my husband would let me lol

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that the same is a black tabby cat ?
Black smoke is genetically solid, plus the "inhibitor" gene. The inhibitor gene makes the base of each hair white (or off-white), which turns solid cats into smokes, and tabby cats into silver tabbies. Even though smoke cats are genetically solid color, it's fairly common for smoke cats to have ghost tabby markings. The smoke Egyptian Mau is a good example of a black smoke cat with distinct tabby markings, even though it is genetically a solid (non-tabby) cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think this kitten will keep his tabby markings or turn solid black when it grows up ?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think this kitten will keep his tabby markings or turn solid black when it grows up ?
It's difficult to predict. We had a smoke barn cat when I was a child, and her adult markings looked very similar to how this kitten looks now. On the other hand, some black smoke cats appear totally black on the surface, with the white roots only visible when you part the hairs.