What color is my pregnant bobtail?

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sage is 9months old and 4 weeks pregnant with two kittens their father is gray and I'd like to know what color they will be and whether they'll inherit moms polydactyl toes and bobtail...but it's kinda impossible to figure out since I'm not actually sure what color Sage is,I thought she was a Tortie lynx point but I've looked it up and no cat looks close to her ,do you have any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she is a dilute tortie. I wouldn't call her pattern pointed, because pointed cats are darker on the points and light on the body and she looks like she has color in the body too. Any better pics of her whole body? Are there tabby marking in her gray spots? If so she's a dilute torbie (tortie/tabby).

Torties/torbies can really have any color kitten. Except she will not have any red females because the father is dark. Males get their color from their mother, females get their color from both parents.

For patterns---solid, tabby, pointed, etc., that depends what genes the parent cats carry, and you won't know this unless you know what their parents/grandparents/great-grandparents were like. A registered purebred breeder can have a fair idea of what they're going to get (since colors/pattrns are on the registration papers), but with moggies you just never know.

From what I can find, it looks like if the father doesn't carry polydactyly, about half the kittens will be polydactyl. I guess with bobtail it depends what kind of bobtail she is (there are different genes involved) so no real guesses on that one.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But dilute torbies arnt white,She was pure white when we got her ...but thanks for the possible colors and the polydactyle and bobtail thing:)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it could be an atypical pointed pattern, if she was white when she was little. I'm not sure if there's an official name for that or not. If she is pointed she's still a dilute tortie point so the colors would be the same. I think that if she is pointed and the father cat doesn't carry the pointed gene the kittens have a 25% chance of being pointed? I'll have to go look that up to confirm.

Does she have purebred Manx in her background?

Last edited:

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her mom is a show quality pedigree but she got out and mated with the neighborhood stray and with their long tailed manx who is white...so I'm not actually sure who father is who's,for all I know she could be full blooded but the lady said she wasn't keeping any of them and since we bought her as a pet and because Sage was sickly when we got her(but we fixed it) there was no papers:/..so I'll never know.But all those kits had moms polydactyl feet and the vet said that sages were rare because she has six on each of the front and five on each of the back

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Could you show us a picture of her tail and one of her standing up so we can see how long her back and front legs are? She might just be carrying the bob-tail gene rather than being a manx mix.

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only need to know because my neighbor let the tom cat in(stupid move for not neutering him;I honestly thought he was sterile because he's two years old,doesn't spray a lot, does not roam or have very noticeable jowls)pregnant and now she's showing the first stages of labor:( I'm Definatly getting her,her kittens,and the father neutered and spayed after this and I'm worried about the kittens health if Sage is a manx mix...I know they have a chance of having health problems...my first bobtail a pedigree manx kitten named Oliver died from manx syndrome,but it was then I got hooked on bobtails.I don't have many pics of her standing up though...but I give you the ones I have
The first two are of when I got her,such a big change looks like two different cats.

Last edited by a moderator: