What Color Is My Kitten?

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Mom is a orange tabby. She has 5 kittens. 4 are all different variants of the tortie shell color. However the 5th kitten was very light. Almost white. More like an offwhite, or cream color. Now that it's 2 months old it's fur has changed some, but has relatively stayed the same. I'll upload some pictures. Can any of you help me pinpoint exactly what it's color is?

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would describe the kitten as a fawn and cream tabby. The colour might darken to a dilute ginger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that color rare?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. I have a cat the same colour. It can look lighter or darker depending on the light in the room.
20160925_170420 (1) (1) (1)(2).jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. Well thank you!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cream for sure. Cream is a dilute of orange. One of my childhood cats was orange, and I remember one littermate being cream and the other being grey. There was definitely a dilute gene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When I saw the infant I was pretty sure he was a point to be.

But he crossed me, he become a creme... :). Ie diluted red. As others said.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten appears to be a cream. Cream is the dilute of red (also known as ginger or orange). Fawn (the dilute of cinnamon) is a different color entirely that is not usually seen in domestic shorthairs.

All four of the other kittens appear to be torties and not torbies, which suggests that mom and dad are likely to both be genetically solid in color, not genetically tabby. Cats that are red or cream in color, like mom and her cream kitten, always show tabby markings even if they are genetically solid.

The father of the litter is most likely either a black cat, or blue (gray) cat. In any case we know that he carries dilute (blue), and that he is not a sex-linked red (orange) cat.

A non-red male mated to a red female will produce red (or cream) boys, and tortoiseshell girls. You can tell the sexes of your kittens just from looking at their colors :)