What color is my baby?

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my baby Maisie! She is a 3 month old shelter kitten I adopted in May. I am wondering exactly what color she is... I thought just calico but as shes gotten older I've noticed that her orange patches have tabby stripes, and that her "black" patches are actually a deep chocolate tabby. Her "black" leg has tabby striping on the shoulder that you can't really see in these pics, and her back is more mottled like a tortie than your typical large patched calico. So basically I'm just wondering if there is a more correct term for her coloring =)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A tortie with tabby stripes is usually called for torbie.   Or Tabby tortie in some associations.

As she is also white, its  torbie and white.     (Calico is thus a tortie and white, if you wish)

I suppose you could also say torbie tuxedo, although it is not the used.

The exact colors?   I guess it can be a Red and Black Torbie with white.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree she does seem to have some tabby stripes on her red patches.

A torbie is a tortie with a tabby pattern too.
This means she is actually a torbie and not a tortie ( tortoiseshell)

She also has white so she would be classed as a torbie and white

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cool, good to know! =) Thanks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All red parts on a calico will show tabby markings (red only comes in tabby, except with rarities like Abyssinians). I don't think they're considered torbie unless the black parts also are tabby marked. Kittens frequently show ghost tabby markings but usually that changes to pure black when they get older. I wouldn't personally call her a torbie, unless she keeps the tabby on her black leg. But most kittens outgrow ghost tabby markings. I'd call her a calico :D.