What coat length will my kitten end up with?

Reevesfam88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 week old kitten named Camilo (courtesy of my 5 year old daughter who insisted on a name from Encanto). We know Mum is a pure blue mitted ragdoll as we saw Mum and she came from the same breeder as our 3 year old pure ragdoll, and they are claiming Dad is a Siberian. However, I am skeptic all as our other cat is a pure ragdoll and was heaps fluffier as a kitten, and looking at Siberian kittens, they are generally very fluffy as well. He has ear tufts, and a small amount of tufts in his back paws (and lesser on his front paws). Aside from that, his coat just looks like kitten fuzz. What is your opinion?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reevesfam88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some photos of his sister who takes after his mum more -Camilo is pictured next to his sister in the second photo, his markings are just a bit darker now. As mentioned he is definitely ragdoll x, as his mother is 100% pure ragdoll and actually a sibling from another litter to our other boy who is a pure bred (attached a photo of him too). So our new kitten is actually a nephew of our other boy! It’s his dads parentage that I’m skeptical of, every photo I've seen of a Siberian kitten, they are fluffy from very young.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to say for sure but I think he will be a long hair, maybe not super fluffy. His tail has long hair, he’s got the ear tufts, he’s got some small tufts on his paws. Many longhair cats can vary a lot in length and amount of floof. AIt could take up to two years to really see what there fur will look like.
I think he is maybe a silver blue mackerel tabby.

Beautiful kitties, he is a cutie 😻

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Tail looks like kitten fuzz to me, so I’m thinking shorthair, meaning the father can’t be Siberian, as LH is recessive. Only time will tell for certain, though.

Reevesfam88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tail looks like kitten fuzz to me, so I’m thinking shorthair, meaning the father can’t be Siberian, as LH is recessive. Only time will tell for certain, though.
thanks 😊 I was thinking the same, only the ear tufts have us stumped - they are so long! And he does have toe tufts as well. That’s the one thing throwing us off

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks 😊 I was thinking the same, only the ear tufts have us stumped - they are so long! And he does have toe tufts as well. That’s the one thing throwing us off
Merlin who is a dsh has ear tufts but not that long, he also has extra fluffy, thick soft fur.

Reevesfam88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the lady I got him off (friend of a friend) has confirmed that dad is most definitely a Siberian - beautiful big fluffy tabby Siberian. Intentionally bred as both parties wanted a kitten each from the litter. Camilo’s brother is exact same patterns as his dad, just not fluffy yet. She has assured he will be a long haired boy. His mum’s coat (ragdoll) isn’t as long and thick as my other boy, so she said they may end up taking after mum’s length (medium-long hair) instead of Dad’s, but time will tell. Apparently the owner of Dad have said that their boy had quite a scraggly coat as a kitten, he didn’t start developing proper fluff till he was about 4 months, and he was well over a year old before he looked as “full” as he is now. She reckons Camilo will turn out to be a fluffball like dad based on his ear furnishings, given how long they are (exactly like dad).

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is a longhair and I hope the owners fix all of the parents as there's zero reason to breed non-purebreds. In terms of breeds unless the owners bought them from a registered breeder I wouldn't expect it. Lots of colorpoint DLH are called ragdolls and any fluffy longhair is an MC, Siberian or NF lol.

Reevesfam88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I know for a fact that his mother is a purebred ragdoll as she is the sister from another littler to my pure bred ragdoll that I got from a registered breeder. I know our boys breeder quite well and she confirmed the mother is from one of her litters. I’ve also spoken to owner of the dad, who has started he is a purebred Siberian and he sent through photos and even offered to send the papers but I told her not to worry about it. I only asked out of curiosity, as his parentage doesn’t change the fact that we adore the heck out of this little guy. I mainly just wanted to check that he was long hair and was curious as to what his dad looked like because he isn’t overly fluffy (yet) and have since confirmed he most definitely is a long hair. I didn’t even know Siberian cats were a breed 😂

Reevesfam88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Camilo 6 month update.
Definitely not a SH. He has started to develop some really thick fur on his chest- almost like a lion. Vet thinks he will get even more fluffy as he grows based on how thick and full his chest coat is getting. He is extremely playful and cheeky (he knows he isn’t allowed on the table) and weirdly enough loves water 😂 He follows us into the shower and plays with the water in his water bowel. He also pinches our socks and often see him sneaking off with a sock in his mouth.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Camilo 6 month update.
Definitely not a SH. He has started to develop some really thick fur on his chest- almost like a lion. Vet thinks he will get even more fluffy as he grows based on how thick and full his chest coat is getting. He is extremely playful and cheeky (he knows he isn’t allowed on the table) and weirdly enough loves water 😂 He follows us into the shower and plays with the water in his water bowel. He also pinches our socks and often see him sneaking off with a sock in his mouth.
He is gorgeous 😻 I had a suspicion he would be a longhair.. I love that he steals your socks, lol!