What causes dandruff flakes on cats?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Boaz has little white specks of dandruff on his back, and more pop up when I scratch his back. I pet him and stroke the dandruff flakes away and more pop up. There's not a huge amount of flakes, but still, it has me wondering. Any thoughts?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Possibly a high omega 6 load. Do you give Boaz fish oils?
Goofy, my cat that passed away in January, always had dandruff in the winter time. I think it was the winter dryness. I never saw the dandruff unless I looked for it, but if I combed him (something he loved), I'd find little white flakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Possibly a high omega 6 load. Do you give Boaz fish oils?
Goofy, my cat that passed away in January, always had dandruff in the winter time. I think it was the winter dryness. I never saw the dandruff unless I looked for it, but if I combed him (something he loved), I'd find little white flakes.
Fish oils, no. Sometimes he eats freeze-dried raw fish treats, but mostly he eats a bunch of other raw meals. I'll try to get more fish into his diet.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry food or food with low moisture can cause dehydration which in turn results in dry skin which appears as itchy flaky skin. Raw food shouldn't dehydrate him but Im not famillier with raw diets.

Maybe try to get more water in his diet with canned food or add water to his food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of my previous cats was prone to dander. It never seemed to bother her in any way, and she was otherwise healthy. So, other than brushing her frequently, I really didn't try to do anything about it. The brushing just helps to keep a cat's natural body oils dispersed throughout their skin and hair. I just think it is one of those things that some cats are more inclined to have than others, just like with humans and dandruff.

As long it is not causing itchiness, It is probably something to consider a life long condition for him.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Allergies can cause flakes as well - both environment and food/med. We had a pet that looked like a snow drift until we changed away from chicken-based foods....