What can I use to stop my cat from tearing up the carpet?

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Rabbit likes to lay on his side and just rip apart the stairway carpet. He's already ripped it from the base so it's no longer attached to the stairway and now likes to hide under it.

He has 3 scratching posts and other places to scratch but he chooses the carpet.

In the past I used cat deterrent sprays but they only worked for about 2 days then he was at it again.

I need something stronger and more convincing. Rabbit is a pretty wild cat and hes very resilient to discipline.

Is there something with a much stronger citrus smell that I can use, or even make? I heard of people using citrus oils but I wasnt sure where to get them or how to mix them (what ingredients and proportions) into a spray. If I try aluminum foil he will just scoot it asside until it's far enough away for him to comfortably pull on the carpet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby is also ruining the carpet on my stairs and in the basement. She hasn't, however, pulled it up so far that she can crawl under it. But it still looks pretty bad.

Not sure about scents you can use to deter Rabbit, but do research and ensure they are cat safe. Maybe check with Petsmart, or one of the other pet supply stores/websites.

Here's a link with some info/warnings on essential oils that might be helpful:
CVMA | Documents | Cats and Essential Oils

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are the homeowner, this might be an unpopular opinion but, I will say just leave it as it is. If your cat is like mine, making changes only get the attention more to that area and a deterrent attempt would be a change. Whereas when I just leave it as it is and let mine ruin stuff, she gets bored of it, loses interest, and find other fun things to do.

Or if it's an option, get rid of the carpet -- they are pretty bad for allergies too.

You can also get more cat trees, maybe by the window, preferably with a hide spot on the tree. Sounds like your kitty likes hiding corners.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the past I used cat deterrent sprays but they only worked for about 2 days then he was at it again.
What would happen if it you re-sprayed the area every couple of days - or, each time he started scratching it again? Spraying over and over and over again to see if that would eventually get him to stop isn't going ruin the carpet anymore than it apparently already is. The key to stopping an undesired action is to break the habit, so it will likely take more than a few days/weeks/months - to get him to stop.

Also, which part of the steps is he scratching on - it sounds like the riser part, correct? You might also consider testing scratching posts laying on their side to see if they might replace his desire to scratch the stair risers. You can do the opposite with them and use cat attractant sprays on them. Also, you might think about buying a staple gun and reattach (whatever is left of) the carpet to the stair??

Is it possible to block the stairs when you are not at home, and then begin a discipline process with him when you are home? When he starts scratching the carpet, pick him up and say a firm 'No' or hiss at him (pick one and stick with it), then put him in time-out for a couple of minutes in a closed room. The only way for this to work is to do it each and every time you catch him scratching.

And, lastly, see if there are any ideas in this TCS article that you might consider trying.
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture