What Can I Put On My Cats Inflamed Bald Spot To Soothe Him?

laamonkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Blue has been overgrooming. He has developed a bald spot. I think it may be allergies. I am going to take him to the vet when I get paid on Friday. In the mean time, I have put a padded donut (made for pets) around him to keep him from licking it. A few hours ago I took it off of him while he was sitting on my lap so that he could get a little break. The doorbell rang, a conversation with the neighbor ensued and when I got back he was licking it like crazy and now it is bright red and even looks a little bloody. What can I put on it to try and avoid infection and to help soothe it?
Thank you!

Attachments

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet but the redness appears only to be due to the over-grooming and loss of skin as far as I can see from the photograph; however diagnoses from a photograph may be very difficult.

If you put back the padded dough-nut, and stop him from licking the irritated area, then the redness should settle on its own and I would not recommend any local treatment unless it is suggested by the vet; local ointments could make the condition worse - there is only one day to go before you can get professional advice.

With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

Last edited: