What can I do

Vikingcatchick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the male ferro cats I feed has what started off as a large lump on his side of his face to the side of his neck it was an abscess and it popped on it’s own and it look like it was healing but now it’s wide open fresh blood and it’s really deep and he won’t let me near him what should I do

honeys mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Im not sure either. If it popped then im thinking its on its way to healing and isnt infected anymore hmmm... It would be a diffrent story if she/he was an indoor cat then id b like u need to take her/him to the vet. Feral cats get into fights all the time and get gashes like that. Ive even seen them with lots of scars that heal on their own. If u really want to make sure that shes/hes gonna be ok then id recommend getting a cat carrier and putting we food in there so u can like "trap" her/him and take her/him to a shelter because maybe they will help the poor girl/guy 🤷🏻‍♀️ i know this isnt much help but i thought id give u my thoughts sorry wish i knew exactly what to do

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Do you know of a TNR (trap neuter release) group or a rescue you could talk to about him, as mentioned?
I'm not a vet and don't know if this actually works but I have read that some people suggest adding L-Lysine to their food to try and help boost the immune system.

Last edited:

honeys mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No i dont. sorry. I dont even kno what a TNR group is. I am so not a help at all🤦🏻‍♀️ if ur getting people that r saying the same thing about the same situation then id go with that. To me that sounds like a more easier thing to do then dealing with trying to capture him and figuring out where to take him because im not sure what animal shelters do in that kind of situation. Actually Im thinking trying the L-Lysine would b the best way to go because that might calm ur nerves knowing that the med is going to help him heal faster otherwise ull need to take him to get seen by a vet or drop him off at a shelter. Maybe u can try calling shelters and asking if they will take him and take care of him because they might 🤷🏻‍♀️ Because if u show up with him theres so many things that could go wrong like what if the person says oh no we cant take him in because hes injured or actually i just had a thought u might b able to drop him off because dont animal shelters take in feral cats? but hes injured... hmmm.... not sure what rescue shelters would do in that situation. Im thinking the med will b more comforting and easier to deal with 🙂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats

Ideally he needs to be trapped and taken to a vet, if you are able to do that. Let the vet know that this will be a feral in a trap beforehand. If you can find a local group who can help you, that would be best as they will have the connections with a vet.

Google "cat rescue" or "feral cat rescue" and put the name of your city. You will probably see options available.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
V Vikingcatchick You’re in one of those situations that most of us who care for feral kitties have come up against - - and it can be such a tough one. If there is any possible way to get him to a vet, that‘d be best. Yes, a popped abscess releases the pressure on the skin by the pocket of infection, releasing the infection. But (and no - I’m not a vet either) the bad thing about letting an abscess go untreated is that burst abscesses usually leave a big open wound, highly prone to further (even life-threatening) infection. So if you can possibly trap him in a human/live trap and get him to your vet or a low cost and/or spay-neuter clinic, that’s the best chance he’s got to fully recover.

fionasmom fionasmom gave you a great article to read from this site - and googling to find out your local options is a great place to start. Be sure to also google “Spay and Neuter” - as spay/neuter clinics often deal with feral cats (many don’t do anything BUT spay and neuter - - but if they don’t do general vet work, they’ll likely know who does. Shelters rarely admit feral catsbut ARE good sources of info on vets/clinics that DO treat feral cats. Is this guy with the abscess neutered? If not - - - getting him neutered while he’s at the vet/clinic in one fell swoop would be best. That way (particularly if he’s male) it’ll make him FAR less likely to get into serious fights bc “fixing” takes away the drive to find a female to mate with. Feral males can detect females in heat over a mile away!!! And they’ll cross dangerous roads and fight thru other kitties’ territory simply to mate. That’s why TNR (which stands for Trap/Neuter/Return) is SO helpful - - is a game changer ——- you live/humane trap them, have them fixed and then return them to their original home area.

And to get a trap to do this - - check with the clinics/etc. you googled, and you’ll likely find someplace where you can check out a humane trap, often for free or a very small fee and a deposit. And have them show you how to use it - - - plus lots of us on this site have done tons of trapping and can also walk you through it.

Hope you can get this poor guy into a vet/clinic before the infection gets worse - — I’m glad he has you to look after him. And if you do trap - don’t hesitate to ask questions here. Many of us have done it tons of time and are happy to offer tips and tricks. Hopefully you can get him in somewhere - - - definitely the sooner the better. And thanks for caring about him - sounds like he needs someone on his side!!!