What can I do? How far can I go?

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as the others said, catnap her, she obviously loves you and your kitten, if you don't act and help her out she may have a very miserable life.

find somewhere you can keep her until you get her own place and tell them she escaped, these people may whinge for a while but i doubt it will be long before they forget all about her and you will have a wonderful new and very happy cat

bigkittendaddy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeezus, I'm sure glad I'm not a cop or officer of the court cause I would have a real field day with this...lol Now joking aside don't catnap her cause just as you can't rape the willing if a door is open and she wanders out then later wanders into your new house that can hardly be considered catnapping. Besides that if you were catnPPING THEN HOW COULD YOU SEE HER WANDER OUT THE DOOR WHICH ACCIDENTLY FELL OPEN.

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup. Don't say another word to them about it. Not even an off look. Let them forget you said anything, and in a week and a half, just before you're about to move...

Cat? What cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjblackwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, and your entertainment. I have only you.

5. Talk to me even if I don't understand your words. I understand your voice and when it's speaking.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, remember I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you, because I love you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food or maybe I've been out in the sun too long; or my heart may be getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or, "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I Love You.

(One of my friends on the net sent me this. It completely echos my thoughts as a pet owner. My parents were never the type to want pets around the house, but my grandmother got 3 dogs for me as a child. She always taught me to have respect for the animal because some day that animal may save your life. She never knew just how right she was in teaching me that.)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sooz123

Yup. Don't say another word to them about it. Not even an off look. Let them forget you said anything, and in a week and a half, just before you're about to move...

Cat? What cat?
I totally agree. Don't say anything else that will make them suspicious. Then wait until just before they go to TN, and whisk her away to someone who can keep a secret.

When they can't find kitty at home, don't say anything about leaving a door open. Just say she must be here somewhere, maybe she is hiding. Let them do the search, and be mad at the cat, not suspicious of you. After they go on vacation, if they call, no the kitty never turned up.

Get out of that house. You should not be living with such vile people!

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I wonder did I hear you say she climbed into a suitcase of yours once before
I'll testify to that!!! I'm sure you mentioned that before......

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I totally agree. Don't say anything else that will make them suspicious. Then wait until just before they go to TN, and whisk her away to someone who can keep a secret.

When they can't find kitty at home, don't say anything about leaving a door open. Just say she must be here somewhere, maybe she is hiding. Let them do the search, and be mad at the cat, not suspicious of you. After they go on vacation, if they call, no the kitty never turned up.

Get out of that house. You should not be living with such vile people!
I'd just like to add I think they really suck and I hope you manage to save her good luck

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like to say I agree with what's been said. I wouldn't even think twice, I'd take Fiona and give her to someone who cares. Let her live the rest of her life knowing what it's like to be loved.

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been there, done it! I also watched as a couple I lived with abused and neglected their cat Molly. But my situation was a different, I was the one moving out, and I just couldnt leave Molly there with them. She came to love me, waited in my room for me, and slept with me every night. It took racking my brain to come up with an idea on how I was going to take her with me...because they would rather kill her than give her up...They would have known I took her if she disappeared around the time I was leaving, and I had no safe place to keep until then. So, when they were at work on the day I was to leave, I took one of my heavy work boots, secured a towel around it with rubber bands, and put it in a garbage bag, and tied a tight knot in the top. When they got home that night, I was crying my eyes out and apologizing profusely(even though Molly was allowed to go outside whenever she wanted) because Molly had been "hit by a car" that morning, and she was in the garbage bag in the gargage. I said I didnt know what else to do with her...the husband went right out, picked up the bag, stood there a minute, and tossed it in the garbage can, came back inside and said laughing, "Well, that's one headache easily thrown away" It took me a few minutes before I could stand up because I was shaking so bad, afraid I was going to get caught, but the wife thought it was because I was still upset over Molly...and kept saying dont worry about it, I hated that cat! Well, I drove down the street, got out, opened up the U-Haul and got the box Molly was in and put her in the car with me, and drove from Denver to Iowa with her where she lived with me until she died at age 16, happily!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said it about the missing and abused German Shepherd dog, and I'll say it here too - people like that should be hanged, drawn and quartered. Perhaps if they say that they'll drown her again, you could slyly add "what if I were to take her then?" make the offer, and I'm pretty certain they'll take the bait. They sound very much like they're more willing to shrug off their responsibility than to buck their ideas up. Perhaps you should try that... I'd talk to the ASPCA if I were you. You can lodge a complaint with them because they actually have full police power - they will investigate the claim and if necessary will confiscate the animal and prosecute. If there is sufficient ground to do so, these people would be prevented from keeping an animal.

winwin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you were taking your injured child to the hospital, would you obey the speed limit ? ?

IMO, there are times when I would, and have, said in effect, "to hell with the law in this case".

You know what has to be done, and you know you will feel better after you do it.

Leonard

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salem, that's a great story.

I was going to suggest that you tell them someone you know offered money for the cat, but since you already offered to buy the cat, I don't know if that would work. Maybe if you say someone ELSE offered to buy the cat for an amount you know they'd take, they wouldn't say no.

If that didn't work, I would catnap her.

I'm glad you'll be moving out soon. When I read that, it made the whole situation a lot better. I thought you were stuck there. That would drive me nuts!

cjblackwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I wonder did I hear you say she climbed into a suitcase of yours once before
Actually, my kitten Misty disappeared on me for a few hours. Turned out that she had climbed inside my laptop case and fell asleep right next to my desk. I wonder if I can find a case big enough for Fiona???

cjblackwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.

My apologies for not posting this update much sooner. I finally got on the internet today for the first time since the move.

I'm most happy to report that Fiona is well and safely away from the husband who intended to drown her because she wouldn't "snuggle" with his wife. The husband showed up here at the new apartment two days after the move. He stood out in the hallway outside my door yelling at the top of his lungs "where's my f---ing cat?" I told him that she probably slipped out the door sometime during the move. Well, I didn't exactly lie to him. I just omitted the fact that she had a little help.

Fiona left the house inside of a heavy cardboard apple box that I padded with a couple of heavy rugs. I thought that Fiona would probably be a little ticked off about being put in the box. When I went to get her out I found that she had buried herself in the rugs and fallen fast asleep. She was a real trooper throught the whole ordeal.

A couple of nights later the husband came here again, this time demanding that I hand over Misty to take Fiona's place. I told him that it wasn't going to happen so he might as well forget it. The following night he sent his wife to say that they really didn't care about or want Fiona anyway. That was pretty obvious from the start.

Watching Fiona now is like watching a completely different cat. Fiona doesn't hide from people anymore. My friend and his family think that Fiona is the most awesome cat in the world. I can't argue with them on that one little bit. She is more playful and more active than she ever was before. I plan to bring her home at the beginning of next month after the husband and wife leave for Tennessee. They planned on coming back in April or May of next year, but have recently decided to stay there.

Unfortunately, the husband and wife have already found another cat to take Fiona's place. It will probably be the same story all over again. I really do wish that there was some way to blacklist people like this from ever getting a pet.

I agree that two wrongs don't make a right. In most cases I would consider theft an immoral act. To me this was different. I couldn't in good conscience allow Fiona to be killed. In my mind that would have been wrong in itself. Fiona has so much to offer anyone who will spend the time to get to know her. The people who are holding on to her now have already fallen in love with her.

It's nice to have a happy ending once in a while.