What Can Cause Recurrent Eye Infection In Vaccinated Kitten/cat?

Mow Mow -^-^-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10 month old female kitten and she has had 2 eye infections about 4 and a half months apart. Both times I took her to the vet, and they gave her a shot of steroids/antibiotics and then steroid/antibiotic eye drops. I use the eye drops for the full treatment period they tell me even though she looks better after a few days. She quickly improves, but I'm just wondering why she gets the eye infections?

She has had all her vaccinations including FVRCPC, FELV, and rabies, and she has tested FELV and FIV negative. She is an indoor kitty and I have no other cats or animals. Not sure this matters but she is spayed.

Last trip, they checked her eyes for corneal lesions and found none.

I've asked why they think my cat has an issue with her eyes and they told me it could be bacterial, viral, or allergies... they also told me the allergy panel to test for what she could possibly be allergic to would cost $2000+. So.... no.

I was also told if it was bacterial it could be from getting poop in her eye from her litter box. She does still have her kitten litter box (she has a booda box from petco), so maybe she needs a larger one?? She does kick the litter out onto the floor sometimes. I clean her box daily and she is still kinda small (like 8 and a half pounds) but maybe she still just needs a bigger box and some more room to avoid stepping in her business if that's the issue??

Has anyone else had this problem?? Help appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mow Mow -^-^-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some pics of the first eye infection. The second one looked fairly similar but probably less redness. Both times she had noticeable yellow colored pus draining into the corner of one eye (not very visible from pic ... also she kept licking it off) and was squinting.

If she has pus in her eye, this is very likely a bacterial issue, right?? I work in healthcare (with people) and have never, ever heard of allergies causing pus. Red, itchy eyes, yes. Pus, no.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your 10 mo. old kitten is experiencing a health problem with her eye(s). Here is an Article about eye conditions in cats that may be helpful for you:
Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know

You may want to look into getting a second opinion from a veterinary ophthalmologist before running a costly allergy panel if she keeps getting the eye infections. Best of luck, please keep us updated on her progress. :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with neely neely . And, I know other members on this site have discussed eye infections, so I am sure as soon as some of them have time to log on and read posts, you will hear from them. So be patient, and check back often for responses. In the meantime, maybe some of the below information might help.

Thick green or yellowish eye discharge usually indicates a fungal or bacterial infection. And, clear watery discharge indicates an infection caused by allergies. So, yes, it would seem logical to assume your baby has a fungal or bacterial infection. Both, for the most part are treated with topical meds - via eye dropper or ointment. Oral meds typically are much less effective, at least from what I know. And, if you continue to follow this logic, it wouldn't seem likely that the litter issues have anything to do with it (from my limited, unprofessional perspective). Unless the litter allergy is causing a secondary bacterial infection?? (I am guessing the steroids were given on the chance the infection is viral related.)

Did the vet suggest they could do a culture of the discharge to help identify/rule out possible cause(s)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mow Mow -^-^-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, they did not do a culture of the discharge.

I was thinking maybe she got the eye infection while grooming (licking her paw then rubbing it on her eyes/face to clean) after stepping on her poop and not cleaning it off her paws well enough...

Thank you for your help!!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with a recurring, or chronic eye infection. I will always need to keep an eye (:p) on it. It flares up when he gets stressed. If I keep him out of a certain stressful situation, he is OK.

Certainly two infections are not enough to call your cat's eye infection chronic. But sometimes cats just can't seem to shake them.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If is it bacterial, sometimes the addition of steroids, even though they might help with some of the inflammation & itching, can inhibit her immune system a bit. Have you tried either a 2nd opinion from another vet, or asking your current vet about maybe using an eye antibiotic that doesn't contain steroids? It's just a thought. Maybe the best fit of an antibiotic to address her particular possible infection hasn't quite been pinned down as yet.

I hope your kit feels better very soon! Her eyes look painful. :vibes: :alright:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some pics of the first eye infection. The second one looked fairly similar but probably less redness. Both times she had noticeable yellow colored pus draining into the corner of one eye (not very visible from pic ... also she kept licking it off) and was squinting.

If she has pus in her eye, this is very likely a bacterial issue, right?? I work in healthcare (with people) and have never, ever heard of allergies causing pus. Red, itchy eyes, yes. Pus, no.
Looks like conjunctivitis.Or an allergy.U said your cat was tested for herpes virus??

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be seasonal allergies and/or feline herpes. Stress is a major trigger for herpes outbreaks, so keeping to a normal routine can be helpful. Also, using calming agents can help. If it's allergies, talk to the vet about an antihistamine.