What breeds may my kittens be?

momto2furbabies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am new here and thought I'd try out the forums. So for my first post, I'm going to challenge you all and ask that you take your guesses at what breeds my kittens may be. I adopted my 2 girls from the SPCA/Petsmart a few weeks ago and they are about 15 weeks old. They came from the same litter but look completely different! One is quite furry, whereas the other is short hair and their coloring is completely different. I was told that they may be mixed with Maine Coon because of Naomi's appearance. I'll attach a couple of pictures below. Let me know what you all think! And yes, I'm aware there is no definitive answer since they aren't pure breed cats with papers. 
"Jasmine"

"Naomi"

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, nay, no MCO.  If something, it must be something quite a lot more petite!

Why MCO?  Because Naomi is a tabby?  That is quite common in most breeds, not even to mentioning moggies!

btw, Jasmine is a tabby she too, although the tabby markings arent as apparent.

So, technically they are excellent and nice exemplar of "moggies" when they are as best.

And observe, 97% of cats are "moggies", ie not purebreds nor fresh mixes thereof.

But if you want to seek similiarities among the purebreds, look into something petite, and not too uncommon, so you dont get too heavy statistics against you.

Abessynians, perhaps.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Both very sweet:-D  Both have tabby markings, though as StefanZ notes, on one these are feint. The ginger / marmalade colouring is very pretty, and I believe fairly unusual for a girl.  Your other little girl looks to have a nicely defined broken mackeral pattern and slighly longer fur, but still short hair I think.  They look to have nice fine features and ears on the larger side and fairly clear of ear fur which would lead more more along the path of foreign heritage rather than something like the Maine Coon or other larger breeds.

They both look cheeky and I am reckoning your hands will be pretty full with this pair, so yes, something like the Aby.  I make no claim to being expert in such matters, and when it comes down to it of course, they are cats. 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So cute !!! ;)

Both domestic shorthairs with the sweetest faces. :rbheart:

The lighter one is a cream ticked tabby
The darker one is a brown mackerel torbie. (I can see a little red stripe on her head)
A torbie means a tortie ( tortoiseshell) and a tabby pattern mixed together on the body

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto2furbabies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, we definitely have our hands full, they are quite energetic but also very affectionate and sweet :-) Naomi talks quite a bit, while Jasmine only meows when she is hungry. No matter what breed they may be, we love them very much and they are great company! Thanks for everyones input, I was thinking aby too because of Jasmines structure. It was the volunteer at petsmart who told us possibly maine coon, so I was just curious. :p