What Breeds Does My Cat Look Like?

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm here on behalf of my kitten Luna. She just turned one yesterday! Anyway since I got her back when she was about 9 weeks old, I've been wondering what other breeds she could have in her family tree. I have no way of getting a pedigree or any other information because I got her from a farm that was giving away their farm cats' kittens. Not a breeding farm or anything like that- just a regular old farm.

She has always looked different than other DSHs to me. Its probably just because she is my baby and I notice more stuff about her than I do about other cats. But still she has a very fluffy white neck and while she is a short hair, her hair is still as soft and fluffy as it was when she was a kitten. Her facial structure also strikes me as different. Her cheekbones protrude out and give her face a very recognizable v-shape despite the mane of hair she has on her head. You can notice it in this picture from back when she was about 4 months old. Her face still very much has that definition (she also still has the sass).

Her tail is long and has the same slick long-ish fur that is on her back. While her neck is still VERY fluffy and majestic. She has long whiskers and eyebrows. She is also quite a small cat. She is a little overweight so she does come in at around 8-9 lbs but her stature is very small and most of the fat is on her belly fat pad. She also does not meow. I know she has a capacity to meow and she will when she is hurt or when she is getting a bath but other that that she does not meow. But she expresses her feelings in other ways! She'll claw up my leg if she wants a treat and while she isn't a lap cat, she is very affectionate, especially when she is sleepy or tired or just in the mood.

I know (i think i know) that she is a grey and white bi-colour DSH. What I want to know is what breeds do you guys think she could've had down her ancestory?? Or what breeds do you think she resembles? I've attached more pictures and there is also one of when she was a tiny lil baby kitten.

Thank you!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She might have some British Shorthair ancestry that would give her that thick, plush fur. Absent a DNA test, it's impossible to know for certain. Her color would be a blue (grey is called blue in the cat fancy) and white bicolor. Luna is lovely!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I know about British Blues and Russian Blues but I didn't think the term 'blue' could be used to describe any cat with some sort of solid gray coloring. Thanks for the new information! I was also looking at some other forums and came across the term "Maltese". Could that be used describe Luna as well? Or is that term for cats that are just a solid grey colour, not a bicolour?

The BSH could have a little bit of a part in her genetics but other than the plush fur, she has little in common with the breed, I think. She doesn't have the broad face or the stocky body that are characteristics of the BSH. While she is small, she is fairly lean. Maybe closer to the Russian Blue in terms of body shape? Her eyes are hazel, not completely green and her paw pads are pink with splotches of black/brown, not mauve coloured but the RB could still play a part in her genetics.

I don't plan on getting a DNA test done because it isn't really that important to me what Luna is because I'll still love her just as much no matter the results but thinking/learning of all these possibilities is so fun!

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also thought I should add that while I don't know how her mom or dad looked, I know what her sister looked like because we almost adopted her sister. Her sister was also blue and white bicolour with a black nose and the same white plush underside and white mittens as Luna. I'm not sure if this will help at all. It probably won't but maybe it'll hint at something. Also an excuse for yall to see some cute kitten pictures. Its a win-win.

The first picture is both of them together. Luna is the one in the front. They both have the same little gray spot on their back leg. I'd like to think that its a birthmark because they both have it, just on opposite legs. Also, sorry for the bad quality, I didn't take these.

The second one of just Luna's sister. She was alot more of a fluff than Luna is. She was also apparently quieter and shyer than Luna which is strange since Luna doesn't meow at all now. She is still quite confident though.

Attachments

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ignore this

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe granddad was a BSH, and Domestic Shorthair cats were mixed in, which would give her a more moderate build. Both blue and blue and white bicolor are very popular colors of British Shorthair, though, so it's possible that the blue gene got into her DNA that way. :)

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe! I see it! We live in Canada, which has had alot of European influence so I can image one of her far ancestors being a BSH but I'm not sure thats how it works haha.