What breeds do you think she is crossed with?

butterflytamer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello, new to site and new to buying fur babies, grew up with rescue kitties.
We bought these "sisters" a few weeks ago as Scottish folds. Mummy was a proper fold and daddy was a short hair. They were discounted as they didn't get pure bred registered and we didn't make a large effort to read into anything as we fell in love.
Little grey is what she is.
Miss princess was labeled a highland fold, yet her ears are hardly even a one point folded now, they were in young photo, she was very timid and flighty and is still a bit skittish yet she melts like a ragdoll when you pick her up most of the time. Her face shape also looks nothing like her parents or any fold style I've seen.
Any advice welcome, curious [emoji]129300[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji]
Thanks
Margot

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they really sisters? And you said their mother was purebred but the father wasn't? Or was he a purebred of an approved outcross breed and just didn't have folded ears? You can't breed 2 folded-ear cats together or the kittens will have severe health issues. Only about half of Scottish Fold kittens will have folded ears, and the degree of fold varies. Most who are available as pets won't have tightly folded ears.

The only way to be sure with cats is to get registered cats from a respected breeder. So without registration papers, you can only know what the breeder told you. Did the breeder say why they didn't get registered?

They're super cute! I especially like the longhair's coloring. I think she's a dilute tortie.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

butterflytamer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Parents were both pure, mummy was a fold, daddy was a British shorthair. The breeder actually had a car accident right after they were born so they never got registered. Both the parents are registered.

They don't look alike at all but they behave like family, one minute they are trying to remove each other's eyes. The next minute they are symmetrical snuggling. I'll add a few more pics from my other device. Her ears have since popped up but we knew this was a risk
Her mum was a white gray tabby and the shorthair dad had Burman colouring.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Parents were both pure, mummy was a fold, daddy was a British shorthair. The breeder actually had a car accident right after they were born so they never got registered. Both the parents are registered.

They don't look alike at all but they behave like family, one minute they are trying to remove each other's eyes. The next minute they are symmetrical snuggling. I'll add a few more pics from my other device. Her ears have since popped up but we knew this was a risk
Her mum was a white gray tabby and the shorthair dad had Burman colouring.
In that case you really dont need to ask what they are crossed with. You KNOW.  Its essentially just the missed registration which makes they dont have papers, and thus - are technically moggies.   Although technically purebred scottish folds.

As Willowy hinted, scottish folds must be outcrossed, for the kitten to survive healthy.  Usually the outcross is Scottish straight or British shorthair, but others may probably get allowed too, if the Association Okeys its.

Them not looking the most typical is entirely another story.  so they arent of show quality, so what?  You can anyways dont show them as purebred Scottish folds...

One sibling longhair and the other shorthar -  for folds are both allowed as I know.  The problem is, it means the gene come from both mom and dad.  Both were carriers.

And although long hair does happens with british, the breeders fo british shorthair arent fond of it...

But it was perhaps why they let him do the crossing out, into a breed where it wont matter.  He a know carrier of longhair gene can hardly be used for shorthair breeding.

not as long there are aplenty of sound shorthair carrying studs.