What breeds could my cat be?

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’m an owner to three wonderful cats. two of which are my adopted rescues, Peanut and Princess (not exactly the most creative names but I think they fit) they where rescued as kittens living under house I believe, with their mother and other siblings (I’m not sure how Many others) the mother was indeed feral, so the spayed her and let her back out, and kept the kittens once they were weaned. Then the kittens where adopted out to people like myself. The kittens as far as I know, where all Colorpoint, or light orange tabby. Maybe some in between. However, I cannot for the life of me find pictures of a colorpoint cat that ARENT of the colorpoint shorthair breed, Javanese, Siamese, etc. My colorpoint cat Princess is a large cat who weighs 12 pounds, She has beautiful blue eyes and about medium length hair, she is a little aggressive around meal time but a lap cat at most, she doesn’t like other cats, a little bit of orange shows through on her tail, face and legs. My Orange tabby is of a light colored orange, sandy orange unlike the true orange tabby’s you see. I’ve never seen such a light colored one but he is of the exact same body structure and face shape as Princess, besides a Few extra pounds and color. he is a very sweet cat unlike his sister, and is vocal around meal time And at night. he is a lap cat and is a very friendly boy. Both cats are neutered and Spayed. I’m including pictures so maybe we can figure out what breed mixes they are, and where their coloring comes from.
B4345026-0B6E-4940-8DBA-E2BD78BE2428.jpeg
C17EDF20-4883-4BCF-941C-F731CBF6428C.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pictures of their sides and tails would help to try and describe them better. Most cats are not of any particular breed (unlike dogs). They both appear to be domestic short haired (DSH). They both are tabbies - note the "M" marking on their foreheads, and what appears to be stripes on their legs/bodies. The second one, IMO, would be a dilute orange (red) tabby, but I am not sure about the first one without seeing more pictures. They are both very adorable!!

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, they are very cute cats!

I would describe Princess as a blue torbie point (tortoiseshell tabby point) domestic shorthair, maybe with white... Her chest appears white, but that could be part of her pattern. Peanut appears to be a cream tabby domestic shorthair. Cream is the diluted form of red (orange/ginger) which is why he appears lighter in color than orange cats you've seen.

We can tell from Peanut's color that their mother would have been either red / cream, or some type of tortoiseshell. Both of your cats inherited the dilute (blue) gene from both of their parents, while Princess also inherited the colorpoint gene from both parents. We can also see that at least one of your cats' parents was a tabby of some sort. I hope that helps to answer your question about where their colors come from!

All of these color genes are widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. Most cats are not any particular breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, they are very cute cats!

I would describe Princess as a blue torbie point (tortoiseshell tabby point) domestic shorthair, maybe with white... Her chest appears white, but that could be part of her pattern. Peanut appears to be a cream tabby domestic shorthair. Cream is the diluted form of red (orange/ginger) which is why he appears lighter in color than orange cats you've seen.
At
We can tell from Peanut's color that their mother would have been either red / cream, or some type of tortoiseshell. Both of your cats inherited the dilute (blue) gene from both of their parents, while Princess also inherited the colorpoint gene from both parents. We can also see that at least one of your cats' parents was a tabby of some sort. I hope that helps to answer your question about where their colors come from!

All of these color genes are widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. Most cats are not any particular breed.
Yes, thanks. I of course know that Most cats are not of any particular breed, i Think my wording should have been applied as, “where do they get their coloring?” Thank you for your input, it really helps me to understand What their parents where like. I should also add that their fur is of a different texture and slightly different in length, Princess is extremely soft and silky and is closer to the longhair side of the medium hair spectrum. Peanut is a bit less soft and shorter. I’m sure it’s just from their parents differences. (i notice the blue In Princesses eyes is a bit exaggerated from the Slight editing to the Photo, and you cannot really see that peanut has hazel-green eyes)