What breeds are my kittens?

toulousekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I have two kittens that I am interested in knowing everyone's opinions of what breeds they may be.
This is Violette, she was born around January 1, 2017. Her feral mother was hit by a car when she was a couple days old and I have bottle fed her since. :vibes:

And this is Toulouse, born around October 1, 2016. He was found meowing loudly alone at 5 weeks old, and loves his cuddles all day!

And of course I must add a couple extra photos of them together! ;)

Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What dolls! 

Both would be considered domestic short hair. That is the term used whenever you have a cat of undetermined origin with short hair. AKA Moggie which is the cat equivalent of mutt.  

Coat color for Toulouse is black. Violette is what is called a Lynx point. Which means she is a pointed cat (think Siamese as the typical pointed) with tabby markings. As she gets older you will likely see a darkening to her markings across her whole body. The pointed gene essentially mutes the tabby stripes and makes her fur temperature reactive. Where she is colder the markings will get darker and the warmer spots will stay lighter. They darken with time because of exposure to colder temperatures and natural aging. And when I say colder, pointed kittens are born pure white because their Moms are warm and the markings start to develop within a week or two so don't think arctic cold just room temperature. 

Possible ancestry is a lot harder. As Violette gets older she will develop more features that may help in determining which of the pointed breeds she is closer to. They all trace back to the old Siamese breed though so there is some Siamese somewhere in her past; how near or far though is a wild guess. She is pretty young right now though and the pointed gene has migrated around the world from its original origins to show up randomly in moggies with distant relation to specific breeds. Toulouse is a lot harder to guess. Partially because black is such a common color and partially because some of the specific features that might point to one or another either aren't present or get blurred by the solid black coat.