What Breeds Are My Babies?

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning!
New to the site!
I currently have 3 cats .
Fluffy, I was told by his previous owner, is a long haired Manx. I don’t know 100% or mix though. He’s about 6 months now and he’s got a shorter crooked tail.

Now my new babies are siblings, same mom at least. Someone found them under their house. She said the dad is a long hair Siamese Ragdoll that walks around in her neighborhood. It would make sense since Snowy looks like he has some Siamese. But Cooky (the Tabby) doesn’t look it at all. I am thinking same litter, different daddies? Or maybe one looks like mom and other one looks like dad? The only thing I see is that her Tabby design is striped and a little different than other Tabbies I have owned or seen. They are estimated to be around the 5 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic of the other siblings in that litter:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One parent point one parent non point but carry the point gene gives such a result. A litter of points and 1-2 non point.

The tabbt pattern is classic tabby also known as blotched marbled or bullseyed.
I presume some of the pointed siblings has too this pattern.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would describe your adorable Fluffy as a blue Domestic Longhair. You could also call him a Maltese cat. His tail doesn’t look short to me, but that could be the angle in the picture. A short tail doesn’t necessarily indicate Manx (or any bobtailed breed) ancestry, as it can also result from a random mutation.

Cute little Cooky I would describe as a brown classic tabby Domestic Shorthair, and sweet little Snowy as a bicolor seal point Domestic Shorthair. Snowy is a nice lookalike to a Snowshoe cat.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did Fluffy's former owner assume that he was a "Manx" because of his tail? A shortened, crooked tail is more typically the result of one of the various bobtail genes. There are different dominant genes out there that can cause this; not all of them are associated with cat breeds. I would describe Fluffy as a bobtailed blue domestic longhair.

The kittens are cute! I would describe Snowy as a seal point and white domestic shorthair, and Cooky as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. It looks like one of the other siblings is a lynx point (which means tabby point), and the other one is either a tortie point or torbie point.

The recessive gene for colorpoint ("Siamese") originally came from the Siamese breed many years ago, but at this time it is widespread in the domestic cat population, and doesn't indicate recent ancestry from the Siamese breed. With longhaired pointed cats, such as the neighborhood male you describe, people will often guess that it is a Ragdoll... but most longhaired pointed cats are simply domestic longhairs and don't actually have Ragdoll ancestry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did Fluffy's former owner assume that he was a "Manx" because of his tail? A shortened, crooked tail is more typically the result of one of the various bobtail genes. There are different dominant genes out there that can cause this; not all of them are associated with cat breeds. I would describe Fluffy as a bobtailed blue domestic longhair.

The kittens are cute! I would describe Snowy as a seal point and white domestic shorthair, and Cooky as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. It looks like one of the other siblings is a lynx point (which means tabby point), and the other one is either a tortie point or torbie point.

The recessive gene for colorpoint ("Siamese") originally came from the Siamese breed many years ago, but at this time it is widespread in the domestic cat population, and doesn't indicate recent ancestry from the Siamese breed. With longhaired pointed cats, such as the neighborhood male you describe, people will often guess that it is a Ragdoll... but most longhaired pointed cats are simply domestic longhairs and don't actually have Ragdoll ancestry.
I honestly don’t know. They just told me he is a Manx kitten. I think they’re Manx breeders, they told me both parents are Manx but whether that was true or not, who knows. And the tail is shorter than average and It’s crooked like “broken”.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn't resemble a Manx cat to me; that breed is more "cobby" in type than your cat (massive, short body and legs). Also, I don't believe that Manx with partial tails typically have a kinked/crooked tail as you describe; kinked tails are associated with a different type of mutation.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Crooked tails may be also by other causes.
Inbreeding can increase a from beginning small fault.

That is why serious breeders avoid to breed on cats with any kinks if they are born with it.
Show judges arent happy with them either!