What breedmix might this cat be?

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
breeder describes him as 95% birma but is it really possible to be 95% birma? also does he not have a bit too short fur to be 95% birma?
however he does have blue eyes and is over one year old... so assuming eyecolor might stay that color.
Does anyone have a valid guess of might breed/s he might be?

Also is it possible for a cat that is between 1-2 years of age not to pee the house down when the former owners let him outside?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean Birman? What sort of breeder is describing cats as 95% something, I'd run from that breeder if I were you.

Blue eyes occur on colour pointed cats, nothing to do with breed. Moggies can be colour points too.

Looks more like a Ragdoll mix, but is likely a moggie since the "breeder" doesn't seem to know what it is.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I know it calls a warning sign. And there are other cats closer and all. He hasnt even been neutered.
Breeder says she was just to watch him for a few weeks for the owners but they never came back to take him and doesn't reply when shes trying to get in touch with them.
I feel so sorry for this cat that noone even spent the money to get him neutered.

And of course I dont believe hes 95% birma.

They describe him as the perfect cat, make his business on the toilet, no scratching, and very calm.

However I am not sure I believe this.

But I do feel for giving him a chance. Get him neutered and see how he gets along.

However I do have kids and afraid it might not go so well.
But the breeder says hes just over the year so I think he is in a very adaptable age if the age is correct?

What shall I do?
I feel terrible.

And I do admit, I think he's gorgeous!

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Responsible breeders don't rehome entire cats without neutering them first. I wouldn't pay more than vet costs for a moggie.

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is asking around £30 and I will be paying around £15 plus vet bill around £70-80 to get him neutered, vacc + chipped.

I don't know, I feel I want to give it a go but then I am terrified she is lying about his personality and I am getting the monster himself lol joke aside but you know what I mean. Over the year and not neutered... Feels a bit risky!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
May be risky, but as you do feel sorry for the cat, and want to help him. Go for it.

Let it be your quest to make the world at least a tiny bit better.

And who knows, it may be splendid. Especielly if ti wasnt good before.  Cats know to be grateful

If it doesnt work you can surely find some solution. Say some friend withoud kids or so.

As long as you dont think you are buying a pure bred of pet quality very cheaplym wanting a pure bred., and are aware this is almost surely a moggie.

Good luck!

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I do feel for him but then at the same time I am not sure I am strong enough if it wouldnt work out, lets say he pees all over the place or wants to go out. The breeder did mention the previous owners did let him go out.
Sorry i just cant buy her reason for the owners not wanting him "they simply dont want cats anymore".

How can anyone not want this cat?
He's one gorgeous cat.
I just noticed theres a mop in the background on one of the photos the breeder sent of the cat to me.

Does that ring a warning bell or am i just being silly now?

And some of the photos hes in a cage. Why cage a cat?

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But then I ask myself. What kind of person am I if I dnt give him a chance?
It sounds on her as though she might be considering putting him down...

I would never put a cat to sleep without have tried it all and having a cat un-neutered is not to have tried it all. Not to me anyway.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mops aren't suspicious, catteries must be kept clean. Entire boys are usually in enclosures, large and spacious - a small cage is a concernDoesn't sound trustworthy, but it's up to you. Perhaps guilting you by suggesting he'll be pts if you don't take him?Being entire for now needed matter, not all boys spray. My stud lives indoors, can see and smell my girls and doesn't spray, he's also a smoochy, sooky, cuddly boyThe excuse of why he was dumped may be true, people use all sorts of poor excuses when abandoning petsETA there's also a hormone shot than can be given at time of neutering mature boys, to help stop unwanted behaviours.

Last edited:

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sent the breeder an email. Will try to talk to her tomorrow.

I do understand now what you mean that he looks like a ragdoll a bit because I see it is the one breed that has the same color as he has on the back and about the same markings.

So I think he must be part ragdoll.

But nevermind that, I think hes gorgeous no matter what breed he is but find it pathetic that the breeder says he is 95% birma...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not quite sure how 95% would even work 
 Perhaps just using that as a selling point

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
May it have been a way to tell he is Birman of pet quality?  even - lower pet quality.

Birman who wouldnt never make it at a show.

A very short way to try to describe something complicated to a layman.

Possibly.

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I don't get it, she can't be good at math anyway hahaha

dandelily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May it have been a way to tell he is Birman of pet quality?  even - lower pet quality.

Birman who wouldnt never make it at a show.

A very short way to try to describe something complicated to a layman.

Possibly.
I was thinking perhaps she bought her cat as a birma without pedigree papers, and the cat is ragdoll and then the dad is a moggie? It could be a reason why Mr. Cat looks the way he does, because he sure does not look like a birma but I have seen photos of ragdolls looking like him, but this guy's fur is shorter.

But either way I of course know he is not 95% birma, but it makes me wonder what more this breeder might be lying about because is there really a chance she believes herself he is 95% birma?

I am a bit worried about his welfare really, it is just two of the photos (received five) he is not with a cage in the background or in it (a transport cage) and the floor looks like basement floor.

And one of the photos hes on someones lap holdng him and the other one hes laying on a bed with the mop in the background.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I

I am a bit worried about his welfare really, it is just two of the photos (received five) he is not with a cage in the background or in it (a transport cage) and the floor looks like basement floor.

And one of the photos hes on someones lap holdng him and the other one hes laying on a bed with the mop in the background.
Im thinking.  If you want to have s nice, problem free gift to your children, you shall of course beware here, and buy some one else.

(Btw, the asked price 15-30 pounds is entirely normal for a adult moggie. The vet costs 70-80  of checking up, worming,  shots, neutering, is OK - even pretty good I would say.)

But as you yourself see, this cats situation is more or less difficult.

As you do feel pity, and want to help this cat - obey your heart. Make it your holy quest.

If it is so he is a sprayer or even pee-er, (many toms are), and continue with this also after the incoming neutering, you can perhaps have him as your outside kitty.

Or find someone other owner...

Obey your heart.  With any luck you will be pleasantly surprised. Chances are for it.

And cats who didnt had it well, tend to be grateful. So with any luck, he will be even better pet than "just a common, bough, pet".

And forget about the breed or no breed.  Let it be as it is.

He is, you are, hopefully you will be.    :)

Good luck!

momcatsix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How big is this kitty?  Ragdolls are very big cats, my one year old is 15 lbs.  The kitty has the big eyes and sweet expression of a Birman.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you make a decision or get any more answers?
 Ragdolls are very big cats, my one year old is 15 lbs
Lines differ in size, and this cat is more than likely not a pedigree cat so weight doesn't come into it